Monday, July 11, 2011

Everything Old is New!

Except for my posts! I am fiddling with my blog, I apologize for publishing 68 posts at once and totally messing with your blog reader thing.



This one is for Palindrome because I missed her birthday and she likes this old man. :D

18 comments:

  1. Gah! A post from Joan?! In my Google Reader?! I think I may faint from delight and shock :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my googs readers only said it was 22 posts so you're ok. Also, that picture is spot on. Spot. on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! that pic is awesometastic
    and i don't use google reader, so no worries here

    ReplyDelete
  4. WhaBam! SuperFast Comment Replies Engaged!

    @Rebecca - Yay! I have learned to no longer claim I am going to make a post... my standards are now so low that you guys are impressed if I even log on :D

    @Falen - I had such a riducluously hard time getting my old posts back... I also had a ridiculuosly hard time spelling ridiculously.

    @Anne - Hi! Yeah, I don't know why that picture is funny (not fully, anyway) but it had... um, Captain Baldyhead in it. What is his name?! Not Spock, not the Irish guy (Doc?), not Scotty... Pickard! Holy shit - is that right!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on the theory that anything spoken in Patrick Stewart's voice sounds all authoritative & coolsville, my brother and I used to play this game where we would try to think up outlandish things for him to say in our own lousy imitation voices. It always worked best if we took the same phrases he used on 'Next Generation' over and over and then added our own flourishes, i.e. "Number One, prepare to engage... the barbeque!" (And yes, it is a lot funnier if you're fifteen.)

    ReplyDelete

  6. It's "Picard" — which is close enough for someone who's never actually seen "Star Track". Oh, Joanie...

    Since you genuinely don't understand why the picture is funny due to not knowing anything about the characters, I suppose that the joke isn't really ruined by explaining it. Picard's signature expression is "Make it so." Get it now? Get it? Huh?

    Nice to see you posting again, Ms. Thing!

    ReplyDelete

  7. PS: Marebabe said over in a comment on Nik at Nite that she wants to post here but isn't able. You may have your Comments set to only allow users with Google accounts to post — and knowing your lack of facility with blogging (no judgment... really), it may be by accident. So if you want to be less restrictive, go to the Settings tab (not the Comments tab) and chose Comments there; under "Who Can Comment?" you can choose Anyone or Registered Users instead of Users with Google Accounts; either of those should help Marebabe, since I think she uses OpenID on Nikki's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @YBS - I still like talking in terrible voices. Mine are so horrible that I have to do them for 10 minutes and act out scenes so my husband can guess who it is I am trying to be: "You're trying to be Abe Lincoln? Then why are you shaking and talking like Jimmy Carter?"

    @Blamela Anderson: "Star Track" does kind of make sense though :(

    Thanks for letting me know about my weird comment issue! I fixed it... pretty sure I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very cautious test.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It takes so little to make me happy. *sigh* Thanks, Blam. Thanks, Joan.

    I just want to tell you how absolutely tickled I was last night when I sort of wistfully clicked on “Things I Yell at You” on my Favorites list, fully expecting to see that downer message that the blog no longer exists. And there you were! Oh, frabjous day! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Marebabe - Yay! You stopped by :D
    I had no idea my blog was preventing certain people from commenting. I certainly didn't authorize it to do so and I am pretty sure that it's violating one of Issac Asimov's rules. You saying "frabjous day" made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s not like I was stubbornly trying only one thing, the same thing over and over again. I had come to the realization that it was high time to get in step with the rest of you and create an account for myself. I was following all the prompts, jumping through all the hoops, and at the end… nothing. I don’t know what I keep doing wrong, but I’m thankful that you made it simple for the simpletons among us (me). And I just love it that you’re back!

    ReplyDelete

  13. I came across the following description of a family dinner in E-mail to my sister — who jumped coasts on us — while searching for a particular anecdote to post on my blog. Of course it made me think of you because it has three of your favorite story ingredients: weird subjects, dirty talk, and me (I even do some of the dirty talk). It's from early 2009, before Michael Jackson died.

    "Steve mentioned how Paul McCartney owned the Beatles catalog again. I asked if he'd bought everything back from the record companies and Michael Jackson. Rick wondered if Michael Jackson still had the Elephant Man's bones. I said that they were probably sitting in the hyperbaric oxygen chamber with that chimp, to which Heather added, 'and Macaulay Culkin's childhood.'

    "Rick made reference to Paul's balls, of course, since he made the matzoh-ball soup again. Paul told Mom that he added dill. I asked if he added dill to his pickle or just his balls. Heather laughed and said that the other day he was washing a cucumber a little too eagerly. Paul said that he had plenty of practice. I told Paul to remember that it was an abomination to spill the seeds."

    This is what our family dinners are like, and they happen frequently. We do have to be careful now that the younger members of the next generation are getting old enough to pick up on stuff, but we have some practice with that since my oldest cousin's daughter, the outlier, is now in college; she lived through our saucy banter with innocence intact only to end up joining us in it.

    You're welcome. Now give us some new Joanie goodness, dagnabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's true. I do! And where are you?? I was on hiatus for many moons and now I'm back and I want Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Blam - Hahaha! You know who you guys would get on with? Old People. I recently attended a function that had a large population of Old People and alcohol and let me tell you - they are a bawdy bunch! It's so true about having to modify for little kids too, I spell out words so often now that I catch myself doing it even when the kids aren't around. It makes me look like a weirdo. Even more than usual.

    @Palindrome - Hi! Congratulations on getting a new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! I loves the new place. I would love it more if you lived across the street but that's neither here nor there.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Hannah: I would love it more if you lived across the street but that's neither here nor there.

    Well, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's at times like these that I'm glad I grew up watching Star Trek. So I can laugh at things that my silly friends don't get.

    ReplyDelete