Friday, October 7, 2011

Terrible Things

I think we can all agree that spiders are goddamn awful. They're just evil. In a way though,  that's comforting. They are a simple enemy. They don't have personalities or love in them or dirty jokes they like to tell... they just want to kill. They desire so greatly to kill that many of them have, like, a thousand times more powerful venom than is necessary. How did this happen? It doesn't make sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Why would a creature the size of a ball of lint (that is approximately the the size of a spider) waste precious time evolving to have enough venom to kill a water buffalo? Especially when it doesn't even live around water buffaloes. They're so evil and stupid, they wouldn't even know a water buffalo if they saw one*. They'd kill it dead though, boy howdy, don't you doubt it for a minute. And you can't even respect their killing; it isn't done out of hateful vengeance or prideful wrath (things we can all relate to or at the very least, secretly admire) they do it like like farting. Because they have to. It just doesn't add up. Until you add the Devil. Then it makes sense.

Spiders do other hideous things too, besides killing. They form "clouds".

Doesn't that sound cute?

Aw, a cloud!  :D

 We just want good things for you forever!


Wrong!



It's a Spider Cloud and there are no happy faces here:

We want you to die and be sad for eternity!


Jesus Christ in Milwaukee. This is intolerable.

It was so easy for me to hate spiders; it was automatic for me as their need to destroy happiness is for them - a delicate balancing act of nature - and for that, I was thankful. Until I heard some horrible Devil-sourced rumor that certain breeds of spider moms "cuddle" their young.

Yes.

This is worse than them having no "emotional" interaction with each other! It's like... it's like... an atom bomb that shows an affinity for romantic comedies**. It isn't right. Here's the link: Sweet Mother of God - look at these things! 


  All they have to do now is discover algebra and we're screwed


I feel bad just looking at them... they're like Giant Crab Spiders! And they touch each other! Of their own volition! Enjoy this repulsive quote from the article:

"When mom comes over to a group, as seen in the above image, she strokes her young with her whips. The youngsters respond by orienting themselves toward her and more actively waving their whips."

What!? Why are you telling me this!? And why are you acting like it's a good thing? It's frickin Alien Weirdness, is what it is! Let me flail my "whips" around and you all "orient" in my general direction and "more actively" flail back at me... for this is the dance of love!

I honestly feel ill. Disgusting things are permitted to live in the ocean and that's it. Keep your freaky shit out of my sight. Speaking of which! Have you guys seen this? He's sees you!
I love the jerky camera work of the formerly bored and now terrified cameraman.

Now, that's horrible right? But it's also awesome and cool because it can't enslave you from its watery prison! I can get behind giant, flappy-headed, "elbowed" squids and I encourage them to live happily! Not so with spiders. They're just bad and you should hate them too! I could sum up this whole entry with that sentence. And you're all "Yes, please! Christ almighty, wading through this mess makes me wish I was in a cave with a bunch of cuddly whip spiders!"

The point:

I was in the bathroom a few weeks ago for my monthly "freshening up" when I spied a little spider who had made web between my deodorant and the window. I was happy to have spotted it so I could smash it to bits with my superior opposable*** thumbs. And then do you know what happened? As I loomed over this minion of Satan, with my toilet paper in hand... the little bastard stretched. She took her front legs and stuck them out as far as she could and then she stretched her hind legs out as far as she could. She shuddered a bit and then she slowly brought her legs back in and repositioned herself to a more comfortable spot. She moved her little legs of evil around a few times and then was still.

Well goddammit. I marveled at it. It felt discomfort (maybe!)! And knew how to remedy it (possibly!)! And then took action to correct it (I guess!)! Isn't that amazing? I couldn't kill it, as shameful as it is. I picked her up on a piece of paper and brought her outside. Her name was Lucille and she changed me. I don't like not being able to blindly hate spiders anymore... so she's kind of an asshole in my book.  Regardless, here's to you, Lucille, wherever you are, killing whoever you are!  

*raises glass and nods appreciatively*

About the Kid:

As disturbing as this is, it's true. My children are growing up. I am no longer the young mom of little babies. I am the rapidly approaching middle age mom of Kids. I can still trick the Little One into hugging me and loving me but the Big One is definitely a Boy now. I get a quick half-faced kiss as he runs off to yell about helicopters while bumping into walls repeatedly. I hug him, in the privacy of our home, and yet he still says "I feel embarrassed when you hug me and that I love you!" So, that's not too bad, really. He's also huge. He's the youngest and the tallest in his class. He eats like a Hobbit now, too. He comes home from school and he has Second Lunch. He then eats steadily until dinner. Then dessert. Then a snack at bedtime. He's a skinny thing - I think maybe he has a pet raccoon or possibly an opossum in his room.

Detour:

Want to hear about one of the Grossest Things I ever saw in the woods? Well then, my friend, read on! I was lucky(?) enough to spend a majority of my youth in the wilds (though that whole "You have to make your own fun" thing is absolutely true... and is best not talked about further) and you see some neat things. Like an entire deer carcass, minus the head, rotting away while stuck on some rocks in the river. Or another time when we were hiking through and came across a creepy, decrepit old tent. We were too afraid to look inside - we just ran away like the 11 year old little girls we were.  

Nonothing bad has ever happened here; the trees always beseech the gods for 
salvation like that...


The Grossest though, came when I was 16. My friend, her name was... Mandy(?) but let's call her something more fun like... Artemis. So, Artemis and I had just walked out of the forest where we had been smoking and were walking back to her house. It must have been February because it was bitterly cold outside and everything was frozen solid... including the dead dog we came across. But that's not the really bad part. The really bad part was that the dog had been killed by a porcupine. Its face and neck, including its eyeballs and mouth, were full of quills!


Isn't that horrible? It had the most horrendous expression on its face and it had been left there... fairly easy to find, and nobody went looking for it. ;_;

I apologize.

I'm not sure why I just told you that. In fact, I've had a really hard time lately with saying "appropriate things". I have put my foot in mouth more times in the past month that in all my youth combined (that only tells us that either a. I just didn't know I was being a jerk before or b. I just didn't give a crap). 


For Example:

I was out to lunch recently with some people and there was one older woman in particular that I just kept saying stupid, slightly insulting things to but I didn't mean any of it! She was wearing a pretty opal ring that her husband had gotten her 20 years ago and I decide this is a good time to tell everyone at the table that people who weren't born in October used to be told not to wear opal rings because it was considered Bad Luck. I didn't mean now, in Modern Times!  And I didn't think it was Jerky Thing to say (in hindsight, it may have been) but everyone goes quiet and this happens:

Someone: Talking to opal ring lady - "Well, it wasn't bad luck for you, you've been happily married for decades!" *all overly cheery*
Other Someone: Talking to me -"Well, what about rubies? Everyone used to wear rubies... did everyone have bad luck?" *less cheerily*
Bamboozled and Sheepish Me: Talking to my plate - "Um, I don't know about rubies. I am pretty sure it's just for opals... it's not real, of course, this was back when people thought amethyst cured gout and... stuff." *not very cheerily at all*


Say something about my earrings, you slattern, I dare you.



And if that's not bad enough I then started to bemoan turning thirty and how I was getting old and then the Older Ladies raised their eyebrows at me and it was very awkward.Why don't theses people realize it's all about me... I'm not referencing you!

People and their feelings. Pfft, who needs it?

I am innocent, I just say things that I find interesting and I don't mean them personally! You guys can see that. Right... right?


Back to the Future Kids:

The kids were hanging out in the play room and I was next to them in the laundry room. They normally play really well, if strangely*x4, together.  I could here them jabbering back and forth and here is a sampling:

Kiddo: I can't believe you like Dora.
Baby: I love DOH-AH!
Kiddo: She's ugly and weird.
Baby: *getting angry* No, she not! She smaht and good!
Kiddo: *smelling blood* She is not smart, she has to be told a hundred times how to get anywhere.
Baby: The Map!
Kiddo: She also has a giant head. Her name should be Dorka the Explorer.
Baby: *beside herself* No! No! Doh-ah!
Kiddo: Okay, I guess we're going to call her Dorka from now on.


I had to stop myself from secretly laughing at "Dorka the Explorer" at this point and intervene. Which was hard! I had an emotionally distressed 3 year old and a 6 year old who was pulling faces and doing voices (as he does when he is in trouble) and I had to hold it together to Administer My Ruling. 

The Little One has become quite a Chatty Cathy lately and has been asking all sorts of interesting questions lately like "Why are my eyeballs wet but not the rest of my face?" and "Can we have Strawberry Soup for dinner?" I don't where in the hell she go this Strawberry Soup thing from but it has become a fixation. 

We were sitting on the couch together, being cuddle bunnies, when she says to me:


Little One: *dead serious* When I grow up, I have a baby. It will be you. 
Old One: (the older I get, the less sure I am and more open-minded I am to all things spiritual, so who knows? She could be right) Oh yeah? What will my name be?
Little One: *placing her hands on my cheeks and staring intently* ... Ham Lovey the Mermaid. 

Ha! Is my love for ham so apparent? 


And with that, My Lovelies, good night!

* Most likely.

** I really need to take a writing course.

*** For whatever reason, my spell-check doesn't recognize the word "opposable". Goddamn computers and spiders in cahoots. Oh, you validate "cahoots" but not "opposable"? Unbelievable.

*x4 The Little One has developed a habit of chasing around the Kid and calling him "Mama" which drives him crazy (which only serves to delight her further).




 

22 comments:

  1. I love that this is like 7 blog posts in one. It makes up for your absence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you didn't walk around with an "I love Ham" t-shirt, that wouldn't be your name in the future...when you're a baby...delivered by your baby...

    I always get the looks when I discuss my aversion, ahem...decision about having kids. Then I tell them that kids are like Olive Garden breadsticks, good for about two hours and you NEVER take them home.

    What?

    Also, do you have the Twitter??

    And to sum up,

    I love you and I missed you. *awkward arm hug with my hips far away because I'm not a touchy feely person but I want to convey how much I missed you without making your run away and this action is become far too long winded, like on Walker Texas Ranger when one ranger spots the bad guy and they do this like flash back and forth about to each other's eyes, zooming closer and closer until finally the ranger shouts and points "It's him!"*

    ReplyDelete
  3. My VW was "woocy" which is how I imagine your daughter would say if she watched "I lubb Woocy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wrote this great big long amazeballs comment and then effing blogger ate it. Now i'll try to recrate it and it won't be as good.
    First, strawberry soup sounds delish. I bet it would kind of taste like strawberry quick. Do you have that in the great frozen north?
    Also, Ham lovey the mermaid is one of the best names i've ever heard. Ever. Though once we were playing Halo and someone had the name of Dirch McGurkin, which we all agreed was one of the most awesome screen names we'd ever seen.
    I hate whip spiders. They're gross. And i actually have a pretty good tolerance for spiders. Like, we had one living in the corner of the office for a few months. She built this awesome funnel and we fed her insects until she went on her way. But whip spiders? No thanks. EVER. Or Daddy Long Legs, but they're technically Harvestmen (who the hell thought that was a good name?!) not spiders because they only had one body segment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. recreate. not recrate. That makes absolutely no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ashlie - I know, I just had so much to say to you guys, it just poured out of me in this big blobby mess :)

    @Hannah - Aw, you

    *returns awkward hug and begins to pat you on the back but in a strange, light way. Worries it seems insincere; begins clapping you more forcefully while squinching up my eyes and making an odd "Hey, there, buddy!" comment. Begins to pull away from hug at same time only to find you have decided to turn to your left (my right) as I also go right and we do a strange head weave-and-bob to avoid collision*

    Love you and miss you too!

    @Sarah - Gah! I hate it when Blogger shuts you down like that, it's just insulting, is what it is. We do have strawberry quick, which I consumed copiously as a teenager! I have never even heard of the term "harvestman", this is very interesting! And scary, it's like the "huntsman" spider in Australia. Have you seen one of them? Here you go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU
    The little girl in that video is a hundred times braver than I will ever be.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDpsLPhYSg&feature=related Don't look at this. I mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that little girl! And omg that spider is so big. He did not pick the right size tupperware container. Not at all.
    He needed like a bucket.
    And, actually, mama wolf spider doesn't really bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo, I have been made to feel that whatever happens... I will have woefully inadequate sized shoes. I have zebra spiders and wolf spiders vying for supremacy in the rafters of the front porch. Welcome to my home! Hey, you forgot when we found just the lower legs of a deer free standing in the back yard. Beyond creepy. Your mouth, my dear, is genetic; the jury is still out whether this is to your advantage;}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even know where to start. I'm just so glad you're back. Don't ever leave us that long again. Ever. I'm serious. Don't. *shakes fist like when I tell them damn kids to get off my lawn*

    He eats like a Hobbit now, too. He comes home from school and he has Second Lunch. He then eats steadily until dinner. Then dessert. Then a snack at bedtime. He's a skinny thing

    I'm like that too, except not skinny.

    I was lucky(?) enough to spend a majority of my youth in the wilds

    So...were you raised by wolves like Mowgli? Or fairy people or something? Cuz that would be awesome (and might explain your extreme love of ham).

    Oh, and I have to agree with Kiddo: Dora is ugly and weird.

    @Hannah: Then I tell them that kids are like Olive Garden breadsticks, good for about two hours and you NEVER take them home.

    What the hell are you talking about? I always bring Olive Garden breadsticks home. They're awesome.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Never change, Joanie.

    Shower, and wash what you're wearing, but never change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @JiminyLummox - I actually think I might remember the deer legs... but in my mind they are standing up and that doesn't make any sense, really. Is that what you mean, like the rest of the deer vaporized and the legs remained upright? How old were we? Jesus, I think I blocked this out... though it would explain a lot. Your house is evil with spiders... and little kid ghosts. Can't wait to visit!

    @Teebore - I'm like that too, except not skinny.

    Haha!

    ...were you raised by wolves like Mowgli?

    Sadly, no. I just spent an inordinate amount of time running around the woods... pretending I had a horse and um... a bow and arrows and stuff. And having a cool wolf friend was a frequent theme in my Outdoor Fantasy World (for Nerds).

    @Blam - Aw, you! It's nice to have a friend who reminds me to bathe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You’re back, you’re back! YAAYYY!!

    I don’t dare check out all the links in this blog post and the comments while I’m at work. Later tonight, at home, with all the lights on.

    More, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not meaning to be profane or anything, but HOLY SHIT!!

    *ahem* Excuse me. I don't blame you. I blame National Geographic and YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why, you crafty devil. Does this mean I have to write a post now, too? Because my ability to be simultaneously scintillating and hilarious is greatly hindered by my lack of motivation. Also, my nose is runny.

    So glad you're back, JC. I can call you that, can't I? If I promise never to organize a religion around you? That you find out about?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Marebabe - Yay, you're back too!
    Aren't those creatures horrifying? I don't know why it is I seek out information on them either, but I have spent hours looking at gross stuff on Youtube - I can't help myself and I am sorry to force it upon all of you :D

    @YBS - Oh, I encourage open worship here at the Cult of Joan! My nose is runny too and there is no decent way to evacuate your nasal passages in public. It's so demeaning. You'd think we'd have figured out a way to avoid that little nastiness. My friend, Xena, is a mucous-phobe (there must be a real term for that), and she gags when she blows her own nose. She has a hard time around the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The fear of mucus is called myxophobia. Not to be confused with musophobia, which is the fear of rats. Or zemmiphobia, which is the fear of the great mole rat. And that one seems kind of crazy to me, but then again, I've never seen a great mole rat, so maybe they're really freaky and I have no idea. Honestly, I don't have much perspective on phobias, since most of them seem to be perfectly reasonable things to fear (i.e., fire can kill you pretty easily, as will falling from a great height or being largely consumed by a bear), but there are also people out there who are crippled by totally innocuous stuff like colors and bellybuttons and wine. Most likely our weird, soft, wrinkly little brains only work so well; sometimes you cure a disease, and sometimes you put the clean silverware away in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete

  17. YBS: The fear of mucus is called myxophobia. Not to be confused with musophobia, which is the fear of rats. Or zemmiphobia, which is the fear of the great mole rat.

    Or mxyophobia, which is the fear of Superman's Zrrffian nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk.

    YBS: And that one seems kind of crazy to me, but then again, I've never seen a great mole rat

    Me neither. The mole rats that I've seen have all been, like, "Eh. What's the big deal?"

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know what? Your kinda' cute when your inappropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, my computer was busy ruining my life. Actually I feel weird corresponding via blog comments, but I don't have an email for you. Are you on the Facebook? Why can I not follow this blog on the Facebook? Don't you know that nothing exists in my universe but that it shows up on my Facebook?

    I'm so glad you like the print. Much obliged.

    ReplyDelete
  20. *smothered laughing* Okay, you cannot make me laugh so hard. my roommate is sleeping. Shhh.... Stop being awesome.

    ReplyDelete

  21. Is your roommate a mole rat? Does she scare you? I can take care of booth problems, eh, with some nice tabasco sauce.
    ...
    VW: And I want in on the smothering.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must apologize for jumping straight to the gastronomical delight, eh. All this talk of breadsticks and giant spiders and "Dora the Explorer" is making me hungry. I must now go asphyxiate myself a nice snack — nachos, perhaps.
    ...
    VW: Yes, I went there. Eh.

    ReplyDelete