There I was - waiting in line to board the plane next to an annoying 22 year old who was saying
"All people should travel. Your life doesn't mean much without seeing the world. I can't imagine how people can live such small lives..."
Now, I was feeling a little loose lipped, as they say, and I shot back
"Well, *friend*, most people aren't from Connecticut with rich parents who paid for college and are now sending Junior around the globe."
Which was weird because up until that point we had been having a perfectly pleasant interaction. But I was tired of his shit.
We part ways (he was flying first class: "a necessary luxury") and I go back with the rabble. I find my aisle seat next to two stunning Icelandic women. All ethereal and shit. With a baby. Mom looks at me and sweetly says:
"Do you think you could see if they have an open seat for you - I really want to to let my baby sleep in that seat."
"You there, Small Cantankerous Woman - get out of that seat"Which, I mean, of course I would switch seats. I'm a mom and really - can you say no? To a baby? (After the whole ordeal, I fantasized about having said "No!" and then attempting small-talk. And then asking her to move her arm off the arm rest. At the time, though, I felt all magnanimous. I have done a good deed - surely one will be returned to me shortly.)
I move on back and of course, I get the window seat next to two old people. Two old Icelanders who want to sleep and are pretty much already catatonic. And I have to pee already. Damn you Parting-Margarita.
Lift off! I am a nervous flyer. A couple steps below screaming "We are all going to die! Hail Mary! In the name of the father!" every time we hit turbulence. I specifically got the aisle seat to avoid having to stare death in the face for 5 hours straight.
The Carry On Incident.
Sometimes, I have a point (that doesn't exist) to prove. Like my luggage. My friend tells me "Dude, don't check any bags - just take carry on". Sage advice. I get it into my head that I am going to take the smallest carry on possible. And I do. Then I cram it to bursting (weighed 25 pounds and on a shoulder strap - that's heavy. Yeah, no wheels! What an asshole. Who doesn't get wheels?) My husband says "Take the other big one. It'll fit in the overhead. You don't want to lug that stupid thing around."
Which made me hell-bent on using the stupid one.
So, because I am the last to be seated - there's no room in the overhead. I have to smash my over sized duffel bag under the seat in front of me. It doesn't fit. I was contorted in a most uncomfortable position, with my knees bent up to my eyes the entire time.
There are a whole bunch of...wrong things...going on here. And the Old People
As soon as the bell that lets you know it is OK to go pee dings, I stand up and am all Polite Passenger about schooching by. The Old Lady responds with
"Schrick? Ees cos? Preetnitz!"
Which in any language is translated into:
"Really? Already? We just left! I guess I'll get up."
Bitch.
They decide they need to pee too and follow me back. I come back to my seat and as I am moving on by, I knock the Old Man's coat off the hook on the seat in front of him. Being a decent sort, I go retrieve the article and am in the process of hanging it back up when Grandma SlowDeath just happens to crane her Evil Ostrich Head into the row and says:

"Gorch?! Psk tenchs?! Gorch!?"
Dammit.
So, I make the international symbol for "I am not a thief!": Shoulders shrugged up high with my palms up and an innocent/surprised look on my face.
"No, no gorch! I was hanging it back up, it fell down. You know...down?"
She isn't buying it and calls her husband over who then begins to dramatically search through all his pockets.
Unbelievable.
It all checks out and instead of apologizing they just humph at me and ignore me the rest of the trip. My knees are still pressing into my eye sockets at this point.
Finally - we touch down! I get a taxi to the hotel with an awesome old man who kept saying "Coca-Cola!!!" I smile politely each time but am at a loss as neither one of us is drinking soda of any kind. I then ask what time the sun comes up and he points to the clock and says "Shleepen! *SNORRK*". It didn't answer my question but it did make me laugh and hell, at this point, I was just glad he wasn't searching his pockets and eyeing me suspiciously. A few more Sheelpen - Snorrk's later I get to the hotel. Which was divine. I met my friend there and told her my story. She agreed it sucked and then told me to be glad I wasn't peed on.
What?
Yep, some crazy guy threatened to pee on her during her flight. That is so like her though - trying to outdo my troubles by getting pee-threats from a crazy person.
Jerk.
"All people should travel. Your life doesn't mean much without seeing the world. I can't imagine how people can live such small lives..."
ReplyDeleteRead a book, Douche Nozzle. Same diff. I've been to Narnia; have you?
Way to call him on his BS.
Oh, and it's good to know that no matter what country you're in, no matter the language, old people will always be suspicious of young people.
that right there is why i don't like to travel to places where i don't speak the language...
ReplyDeleteYowzer. That was always my worst fear, stooping to pick something up that somebody had dropped and being accused of being a thief. Awkwardness incarnate.
ReplyDeleteAnd how dare that Icelandic mommy-bitch ask you to move! Doesn't she have the mother radar that allows childbearing women to sense other mothers? Can't she take one for the team?
Flight from hell. I once took a train towards hell, does that count?
ReplyDeleteWhat is it with mothers? I know, I am one, twice over, but still, some just think they are in charge.
The last time I picked something up for an old man, he kissed me!
And. . .unholy cows, look at your groupies!
Joan, after some deliberation (and a quick snack - I get peckish when I exercise the think muscle) I have reached the conclusion that you are the funniest bang totin' homo sapiens I have read in dog's age. (ridiculous analogy - what's wrong with 'zebra's age'? Rank doggy bias, I say) I say this advisedly, in the sincere hope that this overweening compliment will go immediately to your head, causing it to swell and you to begin teetering with self-satisfaction. (unlikely, I know, but I have dreams of grandeur) Keep 'em comin', hoss. (great nickname, btw - when did you start calling yourself 'Hoss'? Brilliant.)
ReplyDeleteP.S. I would have snuck something of yours into the old coot's pockets, then later made a show of searching your person frantically, stopping to pierce the geezer with a penetrating gaze, point your finger at him and in a loud voice say: "Gorch, you villainous septuagenarian! GORCH!" ... but, that's just ME.
@Teebore - "Read a book, Douche Nozzle". I wish I had thought of that! Yes, Old People are universally suspicious. I kinda look forward to being an Old Jerk myself though, I must say :)
ReplyDelete@Falen - It was very frustrating! The thing is, almost everyone in Iceland does speak English (except, of course, all the people I am forced to interact with).
@Postman - It was so uncomfortable! She actually stared at me for like 2 minutes straight after and I just stared straight ahead at my TV screen. I know - I blame the Icelandic mom in this situation the most too! :)
@Melanie - It is the worst to be trapped in a moving vehicle with assholes. There I swore for you - I read your dishwasher post - woooh, you're a much more even keeled woman than I. I got more followers because I was "featured" on a very awesome and popular blog: Nik at Nite. She linked to my page and I wasn't expecting that and it was AWESOME!
@Humanebean - Hahah! Thanks! My over sized head is indeed increasing in girth due to all your praise! ""Gorch, you villainous septuagenarian! GORCH!" Ahahahaaha!
Oh, and I have been called "Hoss" by my Nana since I was 5. It used to make me cry but, I think I'm tougher for it. *single tear*
:D
I do hate rich entitled pricks. You tell him!
ReplyDeleteAt least those old people didn't make you rub lotion into their feet...which is what my grandma would make me do if I wanted a cookie. That could explain my foot aversion...
ah, peeing on someone is the greatest of all insults. I hope to one day threaten someone with that same action.
"watch out little boy or I'll pee on you." I say to The Man with a creepy leer.
You are one smashingly funny woman. I'll be back :D
ReplyDelete@Palindrome - Aiiiee! Your grandma made you rub lotion on her feet?! You have given me a terrible case of the hibbilyjibbilies! Haha - you should start threatening him with that; pretty soon you'll just have to give him the "I gonna pee on you" face and he'll shut right up :D
ReplyDelete@Jess - Thanks, lady! Always happy to have people come and say hi :D
Damn you Parting-Margarita.
ReplyDeleteWhat could be the chances, eh? This was the name of my first hamster! She was, alas, not as delicious as the Brain Seltzer.
Read a book, Douche Nozzle
And my second! Oh, truly, I may have misjudged the company you keep just because they smell.
@Evil Blam - Haha! Brain Seltzer. Best Hamster Names Ever!
ReplyDeleteah hahahahahahaha! I think I would like to travel with you because it would most definitely NOT be boring. I am waiting anxiously for Nikki's post and was SO excited to see something new here :)
ReplyDelete@Sonshine - For a better or for (probably) worse, we would definitely not be bored! I am a magnet for this kind of stuff. That and crazy people. Put me in room with 100 other people and a crazy and I guarantee you, that nutter will gravitate toward me.
ReplyDeleteI just give out "She'll listen to my crap!" vibes, I suppose :)
I was so excited after the show! I listened to Nikki's radio interview and then I tried to stay up but I got too sleepy:(
How great was that episode!? I just like to be exited and hear a story being told without too much thought going on while I do. I really admire people who can take notes while watching, if I had taken notes last night, they would have looked like this:
Wait, is Sayid dead?
IS HE DEAD?
Holy Shit! He is dying!
HE'S DEAD!?
No, no he isn't he can't be.
he's dead ;_; x 1,000,000= Never getting over it
He's "alive"!
By the way, Jacob gives me a serious case of the heebeejeebies, he always has and I don't trust him - I hope he didn't possess Sayid.
All this talk of "death" make me laugh, eh. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE, GIRL!
ReplyDeleteJoan, I posted this on Nikki's, but it was mainly for you and I think it just got lost in the 180+ comments over there, but this is exactly what my sister and I said to each other when we thought that Sayid had died:
ReplyDeleteThis is what tomorrow's headline is going to be: "FAMED LOST PRODUCERS FOUND DEAD: Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse were found murdered early this morning. A witness says the only thing they remember seeing was a flash of extremely attractive bangs as the culprit fled the building screaming, "Torcha Scrunchie!".
@Evil Blam - AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! I LOVE THAT! I have to print that out! That is genius and it's about me so this megalomaniac loves it :D!!!!! Seriously, SO GREAT.
ReplyDelete@Sonshine - Hahahaaha! I love it! I am sorry I missed it - I get overwhelmed with all those comments over there!
"flash of extremely attractive bangs as the culprit fled the building screaming, "Torcha Scrunchie!". :D
Oh, God - will I ever see the torcha scrunchie again? ;_; New Sayid is probably too high-brow for torture now. Jerk. I take it back - I still love him!