Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lazy Bones Jones

I have a post all about the Flight From Hell but I have yet to edit it or add pictures and I never seem to have the time. But I have a few things to share with the 10 Loyal Yous. Youses. Youi. Youae.

Here is the view from my room in Iceland. This is also my desktop picture. It looks cooler when it is huge. Sigh...

Ignore the condemned building in front. Shh, shh, there is no dilapidated building there.


Every night we went out for fancy dinners. We had a pretty good food budget (that we made even better by eating toast and free coffee for breakfast and lunch) so we were able to go all out every night. I became quite accustomed to this manner of life with frightening speed. "I should eat lobster as an appetizer every night!" - said King Henry VIII Me.

We were all jet-lagged and lame, so we ate this meal at 5pm local time. Ha, dorks.


This was the appetizer from the "best restaurant in Iceland".

"You watch the Hell's Kitchen? Gordon Ramsey ate here!" and then you are shown a picture of Gordon with the chef that they keep behind the bar. They don't keep the chef behind the bar, the picture I mean. Maybe they do store the chef there after hours? He sleeps in a little cigar box with only his tears for a pillow.

Cutie Cuterton from the Puffin Pic was our waiter. It was neat! The chef pretty much just told you what you were going to eat! In the pic there is smoked salmon, puffin salad :(, lobster bisque and a piece of lamb with pine nuts and crap on it. I refuse to eat lamb (my husband keeps saying "It isn't an actual lamb-lamb! It is like a year old and 80 pounds!" He has a black heart. I also won't eat veal. Veal is some evil shit, man. Have you ever driven by a farm and seen weird little plastic huts out in the fields? There are baby cows in there. They are kept in the dark. Laying down. Without fresh air or the sun or their moms. Babies without their moms!;_; All so you can eat veal. Shame on you. Puffins, on the other hand, I have no problem with).

Here is some weird froth. I couldn't understand what Captain CuteAss had said it was but it some kind of fish thing? It sounds gross. Fish Froth. But it was yummy!

Looks good, right? No, no, it doesn't...

It was at this point in picture taking that the waiter (we'll call him Bjorn because, well, that was how he identified himself) asked:

Bjorn:"You own a restaurant?"
Me:"No, why? Do I seem fancy?"
B:"Oh, I see, your dad owns a restaurant."
M:"Sorry? I was a waitress for a while..."
B:"Why are you photographing the food? To use it at your restaurant?"
M:"Haha! No, but it does seem weird, eh?"
B:"Very. Never before does customer take pictures while they eat."
M:"Yeah...on the internet, this is considered beyond normal. You know, compared to everything else..."

*two beats*

B:"...more wine?"
M:"I think that's a good idea."

Another night, we went out to this fish an chips place, (we had blown most of our food budget on massages at the geothermal pool! A massage - while floating in the pool! I got a really cute guy, too! Haha! - my friend got a lady with a runny nose who kept snorking during the massage. Sucker!) that was beyond any fish chips place I've ever experienced (I've got family in Maine, so amazing seafood is nothing new to me). But this place! They are all organic (which holds little to no water with me) and have all natural fresh juices and crap. But the Cod! It was like giant pieces of the most delicious tempura. And it came with 12 (!) sauces on the side! And onion rings that were orange for some reason, and homemade vinegar! Who knew? It was amazing. And I hate fish. I like all other sea creatures for the eating but fish. I lied and said "Yeah! Awesome!" when my friend asked me if I wanted to eat there because she was all excited about it as she had a friend who was crazy about this place. See, lies are what keeps a friendship going. Lies of goodness. I told her after and she goes:

Let's call her Xena:"You asshole! Why didn't you tell me!?"
M:"Relax, Xena, I didn't want to ruin your weird fish fetish for you!"
X:"All right, you did the right thing but... you're still a liar."
M:"That was true before you said it."

I love her and we had the best time EVER! Here is a link to the fish place: www.fishandchips.is

The website really isn't that great but I like to look at it...MEMORIES! ALL ALONE IN THE MOONLIGHT! DA DA DA DA SOMETHING AND SOMETHING! IN THE END, SOMETHING-SOMETHING!


Also, at the restaurant, they played this really great music by a band called either "Fou Flunk" or "Flunk". I asked the guy and he said "Fou Flunk" and I go "Fou Flunk?" and he says "Floonk". So, I have no idea who the hell they are or where they come from but I likes 'em. I think this is they:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flunk

But they didn't sound all electronica. Or Norwegian for that matter.


Tonight's Dinner Conversation

Kiddo: Hey! Mom!
Me: Yes?
K: Want to hear a joke?
M: Always!
K: Well...I'm not going to tell you a joke because you are The Stink-Butt!
M: :(
K: You like it! It is a trick AND a joke!
M: If I get a call home from school about this stink-butt stuff, you're in trouble.
K: No, mom! Only you are The Stink-Butt. Haha!

Later...

K: Hey! Mom! Want to hear a joke?
M: I am hesitant.
K: OK! Why did the apple cross the road?
M: Why?
K: So he could get hit by a car and make applesauce! HAHAHA!
M: Woah! Where did you hear this joke?
K: My girlfriend...Caroline *gets a dreamy look* she's the boss of the whole school.
M: You have a girlfriend?
K: Yeah. Two of them.
Husband: That's my boy!

10 comments:

  1. I saw my son do that thing at a girl (I call it waving and saying hi) where he has his hand down at waist level and half way behind him and flutters it in a way that looks like waving, but thinks Mom won't know what it really is.
    "Who was that you just waved at?" I ask.
    "I didn't wave," he says as he looks back at her walking away.

    Oh crap, I think I can now throw up in three different languages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lies are what keeps a friendship going.

    I like what you're selling.

    Your family is about twelve different kinds of awesome.

    Oh, and fwiw, I share your odd disdain for fish but love of all other seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can teach you to like fish... I promise...

    Nice view... I imagine it makes an outstanding background!

    Don't you just love when you have a huge plate with almost no food?... Makes me think altogether too much.

    And yeah... I get the whole no time to get to it thing... I am right there with you but I am getting ready to be strict with myself and get back on this thing!

    Well... Maybe tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Melanie - Oh crap, I think I can now throw up in three different languages. Haha! I like that one!

    @Teebore - Aw! Thanks :) Yeah, I love all them other sea critters - broiled bacon wrapped scallops are going to be what kills me. Not by choking or heart attack, mind you, but in a horrible bloody uprising.

    @Frank - It was an amazing thing to wake up to every morning, I tell ya. I know, I know, I am having a hard time keeping up with it lately. I wish I had a valid excuse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear Joan!!! It's very funny story about your travell in Iceland! I like very much this Awesome foods, especially the first (there, is so much food, hihihihi ;)
    In one day when I was in Makdonalds, I want to photografieted the meckanism wich make hamburger, but...after a few seconds I was approached by a worker and said "it's cannot to do", it was also very funny, and reminded me of Plankton from Spange Bob!!! :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not by choking or heart attack, mind you, but in a horrible bloody uprising.
    Ah, but if the scallops have been wrapped in bacon then they're already dead and cannot hurt you, so have no fear. Unless... Zombie bacon-wrapped scallops! Flee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ate poor defenseless Puffin! What a Stink-Butt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenea: Plankton is my favourite character from Spongebob!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jenea and Paul - Plankton is my favorite too!

    @Blam - My god! Imagine if they were bacon wrapped zombie scallops? Oh, sure, you could try and run away...until the delicious smell hit you and the adorable little toothpicks stuck in them finally wear you down.

    What a way to go, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE FLUNK!!!! LOL i wish i could enjoy a meal listening to them. !!

    ReplyDelete