Thursday, October 1, 2009

You Have Amused Me, Little Creature

Hey! Wanna see something cool? I found this moth on the side of my house today. Have you ever seen one like this? Not I! The pattern on its wings looks like an Ewok face - doesn't it?

Yeah, it does!



But wait! Look closer!


It outdid itself with the handle bar mustache

Creepy! Do you see that? There is an even smaller, furrier and slightly Asian Ewok face on the back of its head! Cool! Isn't evolution amazing? How the hell were these moths "aware" of a) what they looked like and b)what other animals would react to as well? So aware that it grew two faces on its back - that's how aware! Yup, it's a Goddamn marvel is what it is. It made an interesting chalky-grey smudge when I smashed it, too.


Kidding! I could never kill an Ewok Moth - what, you want me to be cursed for life?

Most of me wants to hug it...but there's a little voice that whispers "kick!"


About The Kid

I need a little advice. We're getting all excited about Halloween here and so we took a trip to the costume store the other day. I pointed out all the "boy costumes" to him:

Me: "Hey look, a Jedi!"
Kid: "No."
M: "Hey, A fireman!
K: "No."
M: Or a monkey!
K: "I hate monkeys."
M: "I'm going to pretend you didn't say that. Oooh, a pirate!"
K: "No - Gosh, Mom! I don't want to be a pirate - they hurt people and steal! Don't you know that already?"

(Whose kid is this? I was pretty much either a pirate or a hobo every year. And as everyone knows, hobos are the pirates of the sidewalk.)

So, it seemed to be a total bust. Finally we are leaving and he goes "Oooooh" and makes a beeline for the girl's section...where he then picks up a High School Musical Outfit. Complete with a blond wig, red headset thing, sparkly top, etc...

K: I want to be this!
M: Baby, that's a girl's costume. You don't even know who that is, anyway.
K: No, mom! It's OK, it can be for boys, too! It's alright, Honey, it's really OK.
M: Well, it's expensive - I'll have to think about it. (That part is true - the thing was 48 bucks!)

My son is the blond in the middle. No, the one in the black dress...

So I bought myself some time. Here's the thing - I want to let him be whatever he wants to be for Halloween and for the rest of the year, too. I have no hang-ups about that kind of stuff; if my son wants to be a drag queen when he grows up - I'll love it. I'll help him do his makeup and go to his shows. What I am worried about is school.

My son will tell everyone and I am worried they will pick on him. Forever. I don't want this to haunt him for the rest of Elementary school days: "Hey, remember when you wanted to be a girl? And you dressed up like a girl? What the hell is wrong with you anyway? Are you actually a girl?"

It could be awful. I don't want to set him up for misery - I want to protect him from it.

But I want him to be his wonderful self, too. What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. And as everyone knows, hobos are the pirates of the sidewalk.

    Haha! I'm a bit too busy laughing at that right now to give you any serious advice on your situation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do what I did to my son...turn him into a teenager (I'm too bloody young to have a teenager!) Now I have a crony to hand out candy!

    Ok, seriously, my sister went through this with her son. She let him dress up as a girl around the house to "try it out." Poor kid, couldn't really blame him. He lived with us all, in the infernal house of girliness. Then, she took him to the grocery store dressed that way. That's all it took; he never looked back. Plan B: let him dress like a girl and tell everyone he's a member of 'Kiss.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, I can't help with the kid stuff but I do have a couple of thoughts to share...

    First... I don't care if it looks like an Ewok, KILL IT! KILL IT DEAD, NOW!

    Secondly, interesting fact about Ewoks... Originally, the planet was supposed to house Wookies but it was decided that Chewy was too cool to be from a planet full of pansies. They totally reworked the planet in an effort to not make the Wookie look like a chump.

    That's all... True story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Teebore - Remeber that as you walk down the street :)

    @Melanie - That's a good idea! Plan b will work, too!

    @Frank- Cool, I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Frank - kill that EVIL fucker...

    My son want's to dress as a fairy for Halloween (he's 3.) I tried top persuade him to go for a wizard's outfit, or even a witch, but he's not budging on the fairy costume!

    I don't know how old your boy is, but my feelings with my son Oscar are: what harm can it do? And if anybody gives him any crap, I'll DESTROY THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides... Fairies are awesome! Let the lad run Paul!... Hell, I have a friend who makes custom fairy wings if you have need. (Actually, I have one who does dragon wings too... I have some bizarre friends to love!)

    In fact, now that I think about it, I have no issue with a kid who wants to go drag for Halloween... I mean, hell... It is Halloween! If it is any kind of concern for you as a parent I would encourage trying to steer the kid into a fantasy costume where there is a good deal of make-up, do it well and let people stare in wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joan, you so long time not write new post that I thought that you wait for my Comment! :)

    I think there is nothing wrong in it! In every man live a girl! Actually I myself would have made costume for Halloween! O)

    ...and I like this bear-snowman!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan seems to have disappeared...

    Wanted to know I played around with your recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ::pokes Joan with a stick as he yells "Wake up!"::

    Just because I am on medication that is messing with my ability to actually produce a post doesn't mean you get off scott free.

    Is everything OK over there Joan?... You know how to get in touch with me. Let me know if you need an ear for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm following your blog specifically because of your post.

    Go, you.

    Absolutely agreed with letting him wear whatever the hell he wants to, parental grimaces be damned.

    (Incidentally, I've often told my husband that since we're okay with everything, the only way my child can eventually rebel against us is to be a right-wing Republican accountant when he grows up. Hello, Alex P. Keaton.)

    But yeah, you rock. Do it.

    If he's EVER an individual, it will lead to getting laughed at. This just teaches him earlier in the game to grab his own bliss. He'll have a great Halloween, and he'll live. That's how you teach the guts to be yourself in the first place.

    And also, I have a beautiful picture of Frank Quick in a Marilyn Monroe wig, if you need a copy.

    >:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Paul - Cute! Your son is adorable! I agree, I'll let him be whatever he wants to be.

    @Frank - Thanks :) that was really sweet of you. I was just really sick and really tired!

    @Melanie - I felt like it!

    @Wandering Brain - Thanks! You're right - now is the time to really not care and be free. Haha - I'd love to see the pic of Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jenea - bear-snowman, LOL! I love your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joan. Your son sounds a similar age to mine. I'm occasionally finding mine dressing up in his sister's Snow White dress and she's raging because he looks better in it than she does! They're only young once - if he's fine with wearing the girl costume, I say let him (apart from the fact it costs $48!)
    The comments on here are hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lorna - Haha - so cute! I know, I love the comments on here!

    ReplyDelete