Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Call It The "Murry Show"

I only get my books from three places: 1) The "You cheap bastard, here are some leftovers for you" table at the bookstore. 2) Nana's bookcase:

Nana: "I keep losing my books. Well, I must have misplaced them - it's all part of getting old, I guess."
Me: "Yeah, Nana, that's weird - you should mention it to your doctor."

She's a sweet lady and I'm going to Hell

3) The thrift store. I love giant thrift stores! People are so weird - and the shit they have amassed over the years! I recently purchased a hideous blue poodle sculpture that was made sometime in the 70's and apparently was once used hold rings? I am not sure about this but there is a grimey circle around the butt of the dog where the tail is, so this is my cleanest guess. And the carnival art! I got a picture of TWO unicorns by a giant moon for 75 cents! They are practically giving this stuff away - the lunatics!

This is the Best Thing I Have Ever Seen.

Right, so, I go to the thrift store to do my shopping and I hit the jackpot in used books. So many awesome books (I hope!): Little Children (was great in a "we're all terrible little children in our own way" way), Opium Dreams (worth it for the title alone), Water For Elephants, The Geographer's Library, Grotesque, 44 and a compilation of fantasy and horror stories (so good!). Now, for those of you who also peruse the thrift stores for books, you know that the most common titles are things like "God Doesn't Think I'm Weird : A Christian Teen's Guide Through Puberty" and "Crock Pot Creations by Beverly and Marjory 1975 edition" - not that these books aren't great (I mean, I bought them, right?) but one can only own so many.

I got 7 books for 21 dollars! I do go to the library...but I am weird about books. I must own them. Mainly because I end up paying the cover price in late fees anyway and for what? Supporting a wonderful institution that spreads knowledge and betters society - not this guy! But I digress. This amazing cache of books, all in one pile, makes me think one of three scenarios have happened:

One: Someone saw "Pay it forward" with Kevin Spacey (certainly wasn't me) and did such.
Two: Someone named Kevin Spacey from "Pay It Forward" donated all his own books.
Three: Someone died and Kevin Spacey came to their house to relinquish their goods and "Pay It Forward".

Here Kevin demonstrates the subtle "push your biceps up with your hands" technique that was favored by young boys during the 1980's. You can't teach this - you just naturally know how to do it or you don't.

Grieving Family: Kevin Spacey? Why are you here? Did you know Diego?
Kevin Spacey: Time to Pay it forward, bitches. *Kevin begins to tear through the house*
GF: Please, Mr.Spacey - please these things are all we have of our beloved!
KS: This act alone proves I am not gay - as gay people are never this overtly cruel.
GF: What? Please, stop! Why don't you donate your things? Surely, you have plenty to spare! This can't be what your movie was about!
KS: Don't you ever pretend to understand my work. *picks up books and leaves*

Man, what a jerk that guy was. Way to abuse the aggrieved, guy. I will gladly reap the fruits of this atrocity though. GLADLY.


About the Dog:

Everyone always is on about how dogs are psychic:

"Little Chalupa there can read your mind!"
"Old Drippy Eye can tell if you are going to be sick!"
"Meatbag can predict disasters!"


Like this dog - he knew this asshole was going to show up before anyone else did.

Now, I may or may not believe this (I do) but I think my dog knows that I know that he knows I know he is psychic! He has been messing with me for days. He does weird shit like stand at the back door whimper and claw at it. I let him out again (he already went pee and poop 20 minutes ago) and he bolts to the edge of the yard, paces the length of it and then zooms back inside the house where he then follows me around like a stinky, needy, vacuum cleaner for the next 45 minutes. He is being a creep and he knows it. Or he comes to get me in the way dogs do. They walk in a room and stare at you and as soon as you look - they walk away and look over their shoulder. And it's like dammit Dog! - you better be about to die for me to interrupt the Maury Povich Show AGAIN for you and your weirdness. And then he walks upstairs, stares at the corner for a few seconds and lays down. And he knows my cankles swell up with all this on and off the couch business.
But Paranoid Me makes Annoyed Me follow him while trying to decipher his "messages" - what if he is telling me there is a gas leak? Or that an earthquake is coming? Or a Britney/Kevin sex tape or some other God Awful thing?

He knows this. Knows it all.

I'll only watch it if he insists on wearing that jaunty little cap and she keeps that crazy-glaze on her eyes.

9 comments:

  1. When my Grandma died (she was NOT a "Nana", that title is way too cute for her), I kept shoving her books in my purse when my cousins left the room. You'll have some good company in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also MUST OWN all my books - I hate even borrowing books from people because then if I love them, I'll have to buy them so I have the complete set, even if I don't read that particular copy. Case in point, a lady I work with loaned me the first 3 books of the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series, and now I have to buy the whole set...argh. I'm also a big fan of used books. Flea markets are my favourite place to get used books, although I am a huge sucker for the Bargain Books section at Chapters ($2.99 and I get 10% off for being a member? Don't mind if I do!) Actually, at Christmas time last year, the best part of going to visit my soon to be inlaws was going to the huge used book store near their place - and they were having a 50% off sale! It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I killed my grandmother for her books.

    Wait... No... I didn't say that.

    But yeah... Owning books = important... I managed bookstores for 7 years for the sake of having a discount. (I prefer the wider selection of authors and the prettier hardback editions.)

    I now have a small library spread over three states and when I finally gather my books all in one place again the sheer gravity of them all will be enough to cause the entire world to implode and be forced to bow down to ME!! The BOOK LORD!!!! MUAAAHHHAHHHAHAHAAAHAHHAAHAHAA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh... Sorry about that... I just get a little carried away about books. Seriously, the reason I buy mostly new books is because I primarily read Fantasy and it is hard to find the books I am looking for used. (I can always find book 2 or 3 used but I can't start a series without book ONE!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this old woman- Nana or Nunu(I don't know)!!! from the first shot! You know her phone number?? ;)
    On the second shot, It's seems like on the pictures that Jorge Garcia put in your blog, here:

    http://dispatchesfromtheisland.blogspot.com/2009/09/look-what-came-in-my-mail.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Melanie - Hahaah! And we'll have tons of good books to share, too :D

    @Ashlie - I know! Whenever I get any extra cash I'm like "Hmm, get that haircut I desperately need or go buy 20 pounds of books..." I love old bookstores - there is one in town in an old house that is just packed with 'em. You could easily spend an entire weekend lost in there.

    @Frank - Haha! See, you get it :)

    @Jenea - Hehehe - Her name's Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you: I'm all about owning the books, which is partially why I've worked at Barnes and Noble in some capacity for the last thirteen years...

    Also, thanks. Now that I've seen that pic of Robocop atop a unicorn, everything else I ever see will pale in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Teebore - I know! Once you see Robocop atop a unicorn, it's like "What else is there? What could possibly be more awesome?"

    The answer is: nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenea is going to hook up with your Nana! then he will be your new GRANDDAD...HA!

    My sister reads a book once and then gives it away. I think she is CRAZY!

    I'm with Frank...if anyone touches my books (which ARE alphabetised in case you were wondering) I will not be happy....

    ReplyDelete