The following scene took place over an amazingly long 30 seconds
The Baby was napping upstairs and the Kid and I were watching the Jungle Book on the couch:
*Strong rumbling begins*
Me: What is that?! Is that a bus!? (At this point I was pretty sure a bus was driving through our house, I stand up and head towards the window)
Kid: Maybe! Great! Good!
*House begins to forcefully slam around. Fans fall over, I hear some big bangs upstairs*
Me: Oh my God! Get outside! Now! NOW!
Kid: Why?! This is exciting! I like the bus!
*I run him out the back door*
Me: It's an earthquake! Go to the middle of the yard!
*Begins sprinting upstairs - house is still shaking a little*
Baby: Mama! Woah! *shakes her head back and forth*
Me: I know Baby, I'm here, let's go!
*I grab her in my arms and we fly outside*
And it was over. It was surreal, I was all pumped up by this impending doom and then I get out there and it is still and sunny. People are driving by in cars and some lady is prattling away happily on a cell phone while walking. I was ready for this:
Now, Small Children, we'll see what you're really made of!
But nobody was running around flailing their arms, and while some cars had their alarms going off - not one of them was on fire. Pfft.
It was then that I was worried it was just our house and that our gas tank exploded or an oil reserve burst up through our basement or something. I walked with the kids around the house and finally see other people acting like something not normal just happened. It was a relief: Yes, my slightly panicked brethren - I too experienced it! Who here can mend wounds and who can make fire? I think we can all agree that I will be in charge and while I will rule with a velvet glove - you will quickly come to know the iron fist inside of it! Then we all stood around and wondered what to do. Are the buildings safe? Are there going to be more earthquakes?
So far, so good!
Completely Unrelated: Occasionally, you are gifted with something so delightful you can't believe your luck. Sometimes, these things come to you by accident and it's like the light of God is shining directly on your face. This happened to me once in college when I was smoking in the bathroom. I was happily puffing away when suddenly, I heard voices. Distinct voices. The voice of someone who had been particularly unkind to me, actually. I was thrilled - my eyes grew wide and then shrunk into slits as I positioned myself to standing on the edge of the sink to hear better. Oh man, was it wonderful. I giggled to myself as I listened to their lies and lamentations. It was delicious. It was like finding a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk - sure, you probably shouldn't take it - but hell, what are we, Amish?
"...and I'm telling you, Jacob, I took that Benjamin like it was nobody's business!"
I was offered another wonderful gift a few weeks ago when I brought my son to the hospital (he had stepped on a piece of broken glass and I couldn't get it out with tweezers). We were waiting to get X-rays and he blurts out to the nurse "But I gotta poop - right now!" (He is such a boy - always having to poop at the most inconvenient times and not caring who knows it.) I take him down the hall to do his thing and right next to the washroom was the prayer room...and so I poked my head inside while I waited for him. It was a pleasant little space with Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu things all about. There was also an altar with a book on it.
I take a look at the book and quickly ascertain that this is a prayer book - people had left their wishes and gratitude to their various gods and or The Universe. The book was open in a public place and so it wasn't exactly private but you are supposed to be a good enough person no to flip through and read their words. I thought I was.
But I wasn't.
Most of the entries are sweet and boring (which made me realize, sadly, what a bore it must be to hear confessions). I flipped a few pages and was ready to leave it when I came across 3 pages that were quite disturbing, really. A person had scrawled diagonally across the pages (everyone else writes on the lines and only leaves a couple sentences, you know, like normal people) in this loopy, crazy-person scrawl. The entry started with DEAR JESUS and then a bunch of loopy indecipherable weirdness with the occasional clearly printed, SLUT and SEX and SINNERS and HELL and, my favorite, DEVIL WHORE throughout. It was unsettling in the extreme. It was also anonymous - was it a mental patient, a person playing a joke or was it a self-loathing Devil Whore?
The fact is, we'll never know. What we do know is that there are people out there who feel so strongly about Devil Whores that they need to tell JESUS about in a public forum. Sleep tight, agents!


ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Mrs. Crawlspace! You don't look a day over 328.
It was bewildering and I was completely discombobulated!
But we want to hear about the earthquake.
Seriously though, I'm so glad to hear neither you nor the little ones fell through the cracks or were hit in the head by ironically titled signs.
I was happily puffing away when suddenly, I heard voices.
It was one of those cigarettes, then? Or had you gone crazy already? We need context!
I thought I was.
For some reason I get the impression that any story of yours that involves the phrase "you are supposed to be a good enough person" later includes the phrase "But I wasn't."
Welcome back to the Land of Posting!
VW: maxic — Of or concerning ankle-length skirts, feminine-hygiene pads, or the main character of Where the Wild Things Are.
Crazy! No thanks on earthquakes for me. Not at all.
ReplyDeleteAlso it kind of bums me out that as kids we get excited by life threatening situations but as adults we (or at least me) get worried about them.
Tornado heading our way?
Child me: awesome! Maybe we won't have to go to school
Adult Me: oh sweet jesus please don't come near the house. i don't want that responsibility
Wow, you guys really felt the earthquake! I was driving back from lunch at the time and didn't feel anything, no one in my office did either, but apparently lots of other people here in the Ldot did. My mom just felt dizzy, then turned around and saw a picture swinging on the wall. She assumed it was a ghost or something (this is the same woman who assumed the blackout was due to aliens). Glad to hear that you and your little ones are all okay!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the prayer book - that's some awesome craziness. I should have thought to check it out when I was visiting my sister in the hospital!
We had an earthquake here in Georgia once. It was very strange--one doesn't expect earthquakes in Georgia. It woke me up, what with its rattling of my alarm clock. Really, the worst thing about it was that it woke me up 11 minutes before my alarm was going to go off--and we all know those minutes before the alarm are the best sleep.
ReplyDeleteI would have read the prayer book too. I mean, sometimes you just have to do those things. And then blog about it.
But did you have to tell everyone what I wrote?
Signed, Devil Whore
ReplyDeleteAshlie: She assumed it was a ghost or something (this is the same woman who assumed the blackout was due to aliens).
Ha! Wait... Joan is your mom? Next question: What the frak is an Ldot (besides a rejected Hanson song)?
Verification Word: inger — n. Outrage at gerunds.
We felt the earthquake here in Wisconsin too. I can't imagine what it was like there!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday-ish, Joan! And check out the swanky new blog look!
ReplyDeleteI think we can all agree that I will be in charge and while I will rule with a velvet glove - you will quickly come to know the iron fist inside of it!
And how goes your velvety dictatorship? Have your followers realized yet that civilization wasn't destroyed?
@Falen: Also it kind of bums me out that as kids we get excited by life threatening situations but as adults we (or at least me) get worried about them.
See, I'm the opposite. Thunderstorms, tornadoes, the wind used to scare the heck out of me as a kid.
Now I'm like "bring it on, Mother Nature! Let's see what you can do, you crazy b!tch!" as though to make up for being a stupid kid I'm overcompensating by being a stupid adult.
It's going to get me in trouble someday...
@Blam
ReplyDeleteI am a fellow Londoner, along with Ashlie. Ldot is what us Londoners refer to our city as! Haha. It's our own secret nickname, and our homage to our big brother city Toronto—AKA Tdot.
Also, I enjoy to St. Thomas St. Tdot. Mwah haha.
@Joan:
I totally felt this earthquake, and every day since it happened, I have been getting made fun of at work, because of how bad it scared me.
Like seriously—DID NOT LIKE!
They keep telling me I was as white a ghost after:)
Glad to hear you survived to live another day, and to continue to spread the ever important message about those pesky Devil Whores;)
The triumphant return of Joan! Missed you & your earthshaking, eavesdropping, devilwhoremongering ways.
ReplyDeleteWV: imano -- mano's last name
We Deviil Whores love roaming the globe, penning our crazy self loathing rants in books. I have a secret though. We are not really self-loathing. We only pretend to be to make all the Born Again Virgins feel better about themselves. But we are far superior, I tell you. Viva La Whores!
ReplyDeleteGod you're a funny writer.
ReplyDeleteJoan:
ReplyDeleteWay overdue "Happy Birthday." Actually, just retrospectively decided to split the difference between yours and mine. Which is to say, "Presents please." Not really (which means really...no I am serious).
College, smoking, voices. Hmmm, we're seriously considering legalizing that stuff out my way, mostly just so that we can tax it, since the California economy is tanking so badly. Wouldn't you think we could have avoided said circumstances given the gubernatorial leadership? Which brings me to shakers and movers of the earthly variety.
Because, as a native Southern Californian, it is an accepted fact of life that inevitably, one day the solid ground upon which you stand on this day WILL be, eventually, teeming with anemones, kelp and lobsters, temblors are like mother's milk. We were rocked to sleep by them in our cradles. They knocked us out of bed as toddlers and unless the bookcase fell on us, we just finished our dreams on the floor. Sub 5.0 and close, they fail to elicit more than a raised eyebrow or two.
"Did you feel that?"
"Feel what?
"Seriously, did you feel an earthquake?"
"No dogs barking, no car alarms; go see if the chandelier is swinging."
"Never mind."
In the year and a half that we lived 70 miles from the North Carolina coast, we survived 3 hurricanes. In one, we lost power and I had to be picked up by rowboat to be able to do my rounds the following morning. In another, an 80 foot tall pine tree from our back yard took out the corner of our neighbor's roof as it conceded to gravity's supremacy. The locals held hurricane parties and tracked the path of the approaching monsters for days. They placed wagers on the precise location of landfall. They took their cataclysmic events in stride. Earthquakes, on the other hand, instilled alien fear and angst. Transplants, we never learned each others' ease even as we acquired the lexicon.
I like my natural disasters brief and acute, not looming and stalking. Even now, as it seems that the tectonic plates and faultlines of the region are commited to lengthening the vestigial short leg of Mexico (Baja) by ripping up the crotch to the north -- please refer to a USGS map of recent seismic activity for the analogy -- even now, as I swayed in the 8th floor last week for a minute or two owing to the interplay of a 5.4 and the buildings seismically-compliant rollers, I am at peace with the liebfraumilch of Gaia Terra's slumbering shifts.
I guess it all come down to the devil, or Devil Whore you know, as opposed to the terror of the less familiar.
Take care. And avoid broken glass.
ReplyDeleteHere's your belated birthday gift, Foot Joan Connected to the Ankle Joan. I hope you like it.
27b/6: Statements my offspring has made that make me wonder if there was a mixup in the hospital
Don't say I never think about you. That's my job. And it's more like wishing I never thought about you, because saying it just gets people looking at me funny for muttering random things out loud, which is actually your job.
PS I like your new blog layout toooooo
ReplyDeleteHoly sad crap :( I never got these comments until now, you guys! TM Lawrence, Blam and Naomi - I never replied as I never knew about them!
ReplyDelete