Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Trip to the Farm

I think it is pretty clear I am on the precipice here. I am tiptoeing the line betwixt "Girl Who Has Cute Owl Figurines" and "Crazy Old Lady Who Collects Owls and Spies on her Neighbors While Calling the Cops to Report Suspicious Goings-On".


I got two new owls. I now have five. They aren't like books (that can be filled away and enjoyed by others) or like coins (that have value and interest to people other than me). They just sit. And watch. They freak the Kid out so much that they actually all face the wall most of the time. He sneaks in when I'm not looking and turns them all around. I can't say I blame him. Which brings me back to Jesus.

Jesus - all around cool guy since circa 4 B.C.


As a kid, we had this bust of Jesus in our bedroom. My mother put it on top of our dresser and he freaked us right out. He was all white. No irises - no pupils.

 Terrifying to 5 year olds

We finally told her and she was upset but took him away. Before that, we would lay in bed looking at eye-less Jesus and dare each other to climb up and touch him. We never did. My mom replaced him with a cool "Jesus in a field with lambs and children" print that we liked.

 Happy, laughing Jesus! Seen here enjoying a good "pull my finger" joke. 


At least he had eyes.  Kiddo was asking about our religion. We were talking about how God and Jesus are the same but are also Father and Son. We left out the Holy Ghost at this point...because, frankly, I am a little hazy on the whole thing. Anyway, it came back around to Mary and after 20 minutes of "explaining" it to him, he says

"So, is Mary a real person or is she a Jesus?"

Ha!

This is not at all where this post was supposed to go so let's course-correct, shall we? I won a contest! It was a lottery so I had just of good of odds as the next guy! Sonshine - gifted me with this:


Meet Smudge, the world's littlest cutpurse

I know! So cute and he is ready to do the soft-shoe at a moment's notice :D She also sent me a card and the owl came wrapped in this awesome paper! I love fancy paper! I am keeping it in my drawer...until my husband exclaims one day: "Why are we keeping this!?" and I will reply, lamely: "It sure is purtty".

I secretly really want to scrapbook but I think this is as close as I dare to get at the moment;

I also picked up another giant owl from the Dollar Store! His name is Nicodemus (name the movie with the giant owl named Nicodemus and prove how awesome you are) and he is even uglier than Warfina. Which is important. To women and owls. You don't want your man/owl to look more like a girl than you do:


He looks like he is made out of ham in this picture.


I had to slowly integrate the Little One into the...Swath? A swath of owls.  Look, there! A swath of wall eyed owls! Yes, that sounds good. Here he is trying to ingratiate himself by showing his armpit as a sign of deference
The cold, hard, wall-eyed stare of indifference.

And then - the owls, realizing that with the addition of Smudge, that they would out number the humans, accepted him into the fold.

I like listening to them breathe when I am by myself


To the Farm!!!!

We recently(ish) took a trip to the petting-farm and here are some pics to make you want to squeeze cute quadrupeds!

Look! Bunnies reproduce like hydras do! In a few moments, this little one will snap off!


The cutest growth ever  
and I should know



wait for it...

Freedom!
Doesn't it look like a "Benry Knows Best" cartoon character?


How about now?

Off he goes! I can't tell you how badly I wanted to get in this cage. At least my crazy-love is for bunnies and not for Polar Bears, like this lady:

This is why the phrase "Bear Kiss!" will never catch on.
It's OK, the lady is actually just laughing at a funny joke the bear whispered to her




Q: What lies in the shadow of the Garbage Bin?



A: Baby Bunnies :D


Look at this little guy! His name is Rorschach:

You're killing me! Look at the little Horn Spots!



Aww! This mom was calling for her baby who was spazing out and hopping all around the cage: "And watch me run over here! And watch me jump like this!" He finally came over for a bath   :) 
 Who knew lambs were so wrinkly? Wrinkly and delicious.

Now, I have a hard time at the petting farm. I pretty much hover behind my roving horde and try and get Purell on their hands the whole time. I usually get a shoulder or the back of the head, but I try. Dad on the other hand is all "Yeah, wooh, let's touch all the animals' gross mouths and noses!" which is distressing for me because animals can give people diseases! In fact, when we went to see all the brand new calves - we couldn't - as they were all in quarantine! They had some weird skin thing going on and there were signs up not to touch certain other cows all over the place. It was enough for me and I made everyone leave the Infected Bovine Zone. It was as sucessful of an outing to the farm as we've ever had. 

Which reminds me - I once killed a chicken by accident at a working farm that my 7th grade class went to on a field trip. It was highly distressing at the time. Still makes me feel a little oogy. More on that later. Today is April Fool's Day! We woke up Dad by dropping wet washcloths on him! This quickly broke out into an all out water war. Good times! Off now to go put rice in the bottom of his coffee...



34 comments:

  1. Wow. I found you, and I love you. Is that creepy? Good.

    I also have a bird figurine collection, but they are mere songbirds, not majestic owls. However, I have a birdfeeder right outside my office window (like, 3 feet away) that is frequented by 43897 birds every ten minutes, so I pretend they are part of my collection.

    I know a movie owl named Archimedes, but not Nicodemus. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only owl I can think of with a Greek-style name is from Clash of the Titans. Creepy-techno owl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Summer has the same reaction i had when i first found your blog! Deep (and teryifying) love. LOVE ME BACK! (*glares menacingly*)

    Also, the owls are still awesome.
    looking at them all togther like that my favorite may be Tammy Faye. BUT Church is a close second.

    Also, if you thought those lambs are cute, you MUST go to the youtubes and find the Happy House Lamb video (i'd give a link but i'm on my work computer and they BANNED youtube like the effers they are)

    OR you can go here

    http://bullmarketfrogs.com/blog/2010/03/friday-zen-happy-happy-lamb-lamb/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=friday-zen-happy-happy-lamb-lamb

    it's a blog that has the video embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, Joan, there's about three and half dozen hilarious and awesome things in this post. I'm still laughing at, "I like listening to them breathe when I am by myself."

    Melanie, the creepy robot owl from Clash of the Titans is Bubo (which is what I would have named the owl if I had won him instead of little miss I ALREADY HAVE A SWATH OF OWLS).

    Ahem.

    Also, I believe Nicodemus is the name of the wise old owl in "The Secret of Nimh."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blast! Teebore beat me!! I did recently use that name in a crazy witchcraft story...see today's post and then link to it!

    I agree with Teebore so many awesome things. I'm sure my co-workers think I'm insane, sitting here laughing to myself...again.

    "It's OK, the lady is actually just laughing at a funny joke the bear whispered to her"

    LMAO!!

    WV: chingag- what the creepy old lady was doing in "Drag Me to Hell" to the MC. GAWD, that scene was just Hoff-al!

    I really really want your owls!! I'll have to settle with my creepy Kachina doll. I hope to one day have multiple creepy Kachina dolls.

    Yay!

    I'm with Summer and Falen. When I found your blog, I wondered where you had been my whole life and how my life was so empty before I met you. *sighing lovingly at your decaying face*

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Palindrome: Mwa-ha-ha!

    Oh, and Joan, more praise. Your whole Jesus tangent was, like, the best tangent evah.

    We left out the Holy Ghost at this point...because, frankly, I am a little hazy on the whole thing.

    You and centuries worth of Christian theologians. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teebore and Palindrome - you are INCORRECT! Nicodemus is the name of the wise old RAT in the Secret of Nimh.

    Also, did anyone notice how badly i spelled Terrifying?

    WV: Unreppet - how i feel about my atrocious typos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, what is an owl, if not a rat with wings?

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Melanie - Haha! I have never seen Clash of the Titans but Creepy-Techno Owl is a good name in and of itself.

    @Summer - Is that creepy?
    Delightfully so! You have blown the lid off the "Show How Awesome You Are" game! It wasn't an owl named Nicodemus - he was the magic rat king who was friends with Jonathan Brisby! It was Archimedes! I also have a bird figurine collection. Yay! I am pretty sure once you are able to start a conversation with "...figurine collection" - you know are living in the Borderlands of Normal. If you already own binoculars (that you use to spy on neighbors), it's already too late for you. Weird Bird Girl. :D Thanks for finding my blog!

    @Falen - LOVE ME BACK! (*glares menacingly*)
    Haha! Aw, Jeez, you! Thanks :D I can't wait to check out the lamb video.

    @Teebore - little miss I ALREADY HAVE A SWATH OF OWLS.
    Ha! I know, I know - it is like we are magnets, me and the equally creepy owls. It is already getting to the "Brow Furrowing Stage" for my husband every time I get a new one. Oh, the poor, poor fool. Hey, gues what. A swath of owls is actually called a "parliament". For real. Fitting though, isn't it?
    "Here! Here! I'll not have you eyeballing me in such a manner!"
    "It is simply a matter of my wandering eye - you foolish milksop!"

    yeah.

    @Palindrome - Thanks, I love all you guys too! I am terribly curious about what a Kachina doll is now!

    @Teebore - Yay! Oh, and Joan, more praise... - for this I am bottomless pit >:) Haha! :D

    @Falen - "teryifying" I think it works! You're right! I named my owl after a Magic Rat King by accident. It's still pretty cool though.

    @Teebore - Ha! Your icon with that sentence cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Joan,

    Did you take down the post with your short story? Just curious, because you know when you're on the dashboard page—there's a link to it, and when I click it, it's not there:( Anyways, just asking too because this happens to me frequently over on Blam's blog. But I am never quite sure if Blam's having Blam-Blogger related troubles, etc., but now if it's happening with your stuff too, maybe it's a problem on my end?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check my post tomorrow, I'm putting up my Kachina Doll pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you know that you bounce around? I love it. The owls are aweso...okay, I love live owls but not so much non-live ones. Petting zoos -- I have more fun there than my grand kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, time for my real comment. What? You didn't think that I was only going to leave you with the "WTF is up with Blogger these days?" comment now did ya?

    It's all about the Jesus rant for me. Good God I laughed. Ooops. Maybe I shouldn't have said "Good God" in my comment about the Jesus rant. Which brings me back to owls.

    I find it hilarious that your kiddo turns them around! Loves it!

    re: the photo of Brad and Jen: Are they wax figures in this photo? Like for real! Nevermind looking like ham! They both look like wax!

    What lies in the shadow of garbage bin? (ha!)

    Baby bunnies. Not just any baby bunnies either. The kind that get shaken to death and then come alive again. Which brings me back to Jesus…

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jenn - HA! See, you get it! Awesome comment :D They both look like wax! Yes, they do...Waxy Ham People. The nightmares, Jenn, the nightmares!

    @Palindrome - Can't wait to see them - I bet they're creepy!

    @Jerry - I used to love petting zoos too - until I killed that chicken...and then I had kids and became Germaphobe Extraordinaire:D
    I'm not at the tissue boxes on feet stage yet (but only because I know it wouldn't work) ;)
    ...but not so much non-live ones Funny you should mention that; I said "You're not even alive!" to my owls the other day and they sat silent for 10 minutes and then said "We feel the same way about you". I now leave little pieces of ham out as offerings to them. Which usually works except when my husband finds it: "Hey, look, somebody left free ham here!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get cool points! I know the movie! Whee!

    Glad Smudge arrived safe and sound. I tried to convince him to fly, but he thought you would like the wrapping paper, so mail it was. :)

    Oh good gracious I laughed so hard. I can't even begin to point out the highlights. I was reading this over my sister's shoulder and mom kept looking at us and saying, "WHAT are you reading?!" And we just said, "Joan!" and then laughed some more.

    VW: porma - our mother as she looks at how crazy we are.

    And the comments here are almost as funny as the post itself. I love you guys *giant cyberspace air hug*

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Sonshine - I loved the "He seems to have an affinity for Torcha Scrunchies... line in your card! :D Thanks - I am glad I can make you laugh so much that your mom worries!

    And the comments here are almost as funny as the post itself. I love you guys *giant cyberspace air hug*

    I know! I have gotten a lot of great comments on this one. You guys are all awesome *tosses baby bunnies at everyone*

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVED THIS POST JOAN! I'm still laughing like a weirdo...

    I left you an award on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Mashlip - Thank you so much for the award and thank you x a million for the wonderful things you said about me :D I am glad to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh-oh. I came here this fine evening from Palindrome's blog (she gave you some linkage)...you had me, OWNED ME, with Jesus doing his Pull My Finger joke.
    The love only grew from there, like a fast spreading fungus.
    By the time I got to the polar bear "it's okay, the lady is actually laughing..." well, you may have ruined me for all other blogs.
    I'm on your warped tour now...looking forward to your next installment.

    ~Lola

    ReplyDelete
  20. See? I thought I was gonna be the cool one and call you out on your strigiform misnomer, erroneously labeling The Great Owl 'Nicodemus,' but alas, I even fumbled the prime prospect of pinpointing my preposterous phraseological proficiency by pitching 'parliament,' as presently plumbed in precise parachesis.

    Damn you, James Lipton -- my favorite curse word is James Lipton!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Arlee - Thank you very much! And a good day to you :D

    @Lola - ...like a fast spreading fungus.
    Aww, that was really sweet in a gross way. I LOVE IT! Thanks for coming by my blog and posting an awesome comment :D

    @Joshua - Damn you, James Lipton -- my favorite curse word is James Lipton! LOOOOOL!!!
    Hey, I forgot to mention this before but those drawings your son did are amazing! The Frankenstein one kills me - it is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad people are finding you and loving it!

    P.A. APPROVED.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joan, I feel like you need to see these items for sale on etsy. I had them sent to me in their April Fools Day email and immediately thought you needed to see them. Enjoy.

    Ashlie


    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41865069

    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=40557796

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Ashile - I. LOVE. THEM. One of the people also made another needlepoint picture that has a little dog and it says "Bitch, please." Ha! Man, I love Etsy but I feel so overwhelmed by it sometimes - it is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you enjoy! I love etsy too, but I agree, it's easy to get sucked in just browsing for hours! I couldn't get over that Jeff Goldblum pillow...the things people come up with!

    (Okay, I never do word verification things, and I'm not about to start, but I want to point out that the word for this post is "uppoop". That is all.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you love owl, you need to go here:

    http://www.tyzack.net/owl2.htm

    Joan, you want that I will send you our real Big moldavian owl??? ;)

    ReplyDelete

  27. *tosses baby bunnies at everyone*

    Nnnnnyarnyarnyarnyarnyarnyarnyar...

    Urrrrp.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was sure I had commented on here, but apperantly I just dreamt that I did, and didn't actually comment. Or maybe I commented in a different reality.

    Basically what I dreamt-commented you was: Ahahahahahahahaha... I forgot how hilarious you are. *laughs head off and promptly chases it around the room but is laughing to hard to do it properly*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very funny post. I think I got lost somewhere in the middle, but funny none the less! My family had a glow in the dark Jesus on a crucifix that they hung in the hallway so that you always almost wet yourself every time you stumble toward the bathroom in the middle of the night. Classy and terrifying...

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Jenea - Hahaha! Thanks for the link. I loved the pics of you and your sister in Indian dress!

    @Evil Blam - Heeheehee! At least they are being put to good use :D

    @AchingHope - dreamt-commented - I know! I have been doing this a lot lately! I read someone's post, laugh and then think of a reply but fail to actually leave one! I've got to work on that.

    @ZZ - LOL! Ha, I love it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting - glow in the dark Jesus - love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know that after all the other comments this isn't nearly as impressive, but the owl is from The Secret of Nimh. :) And I totally knew that before reading the other comments too. Swearz. It was one of my favorite books as a kid. The movie was good too. :D
    And such cute pictures from the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Lauren - Isn't that a great movie? I rented it recently and watched it with the kiddos. It's funny to watch it now as an adult and have the different things hit you. When I was a kid I paid no attention the sacrifice of Mr.Brisby and the heroics of Mrs.Brisby - now, those are the most poignant things to me. I never read the book - I should go get it! Thanks for commenting and following my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree with Teebore so many awesome things.
    Adsense Alternative

    ReplyDelete