Sunday, January 3, 2010

Safety Scissors

The other night, I got it into my head to give myself bangs. It struck me suddenly, and despite the fact that I have had bangs before that I hated (because they looked awful as my hair is almost curly - but too lazy. They end up doing a whole stupid, debonair-swoop thing...they look like this guy's mustache) I did it anyway.

My bangs are both an invitation to a gentlemanly conversation and a warning of vigorous fisticuffs


Now, I wouldn't mind having "Stache Bangs" at all if they did something cool like this:

That's the smile of a bitch who know she look good

But, mine don't. I kept them a secret for a day (with the awesome power of natural grease and bobby pins!) from my husband and then I did the Big Reveal. He didn't even see them. He's like that though.

Blind, I mean.

HA!

No, no he just doesn't notice stuff... like me

;_;


Hahaha, he just read that and said "Oh, Jesus, as if you relent from nagging long enough for me to forget you."

To which I replied:"Did you take out the garbage yet?"

A well oiled machine, my friends.

I was blond a while back and I decided I was a going to go red. I went into the bathroom a blond and emerged an hour later as a redhead. My husband was reading some WWII book on the couch (which is pretty much what he does) and I go

Me: So? What do you think?
Him: *deer in headlights*
M: Do you like it?
H: I do...like your new belt.
M: I've had this belt since you've known me.
H: I do like that you've altered your appearance in some manner.
M: My hair! It's red now. I was blond, you know *forever* and now I'm not.
H: Yes! Marvelous! Say, are we out of light bulbs?
M: A 6 foot tall Spanish woman could walk in here and play my part for a week and you'd be trying to put your finger on what's changed."
H: "I'm intrigued with your idea. Tell me more"

Back to present day - I point out my bangs and he stares at them silently for a minute and then says:

"Am I going to have to hide the "real scissors" from you now and just leave the safety scissors out?"

"I did use safety scissors."

"Yes, Sweetheart, yes, you did."


We are coming up on 6 years of marriage and we've only had one "real fight". We bicker, mind you, but we always end up having to leave the room part way through; we make each other laugh with our quips and are too proud to laugh in front of each other at the time. It's been working so far, so what the hell?

This is an actual photograph of our Big Fight. But I only had to tell him once, am I right?

The most recent little battle we are fighting is over our sleeping arrangement. For 7 years, we have slept on our respective sides. I get the good side (when laying on your back in bed - the good side is the left side. As you well know.) and he gets the OK side.

About a month ago, he started going to my side. He is basically twice my size (OK, I'm not actually 3'1" but it is close) and so my attempts to roll him over were futile. I decided to send him a warning and since we have no horse heads laying about, I went and bought a creepy owl statue and I hid it under the duvet on my side. With a note telling him to get the hell out. It worked. For one night.

The best 3 dollars I have ever spent


Now I have to threaten him (nag, really) until he gets his big oaffy self over to Crap-Side - where he is free to be king. I know marriage is about compromise but there are some things one cannot suffer gladly. We get along great all day and nothing is said of this war but it's there, my friends, it is.

Like the Toilet Paper Issue. Which I relented on - completely out of character. Toilet paper goes under the roll. It just does. Weirdo insists we put it over the roll. He would actually flip it over each time and then fold it into a triangle:

"Can't do that with an "Under The Roll" now, can you?".

Who the hell does that? I, of course, *had* to right it each time. Until he gave me a whole physics lesson about why his way is best. And as a partner, you sometimes have to let the other person do stuff their (stupid, wrong) way as it makes them happy. It totally sucks.

The haircut. Jesus, focus!

So my hair cut reminded me of when I did this stuff as a kid. Growing up, my 3 best friends were these brothers who lived across the street. We played Ninja Turtles and hit each other with various projectiles all day, every day.


You must always dress as Raphael or else you'll just end up looking like a tool


One day they came over and they all had buzz cuts. Woah. I had to have one too.

My hair was long-long-long. Down past my waist and I think my mom did in an effort to make me not be a boy anymore. I was indifferent to it but it seemed to matter to her. Probably because she never thought of how boss I would look with a buzz cut.

We go to their house and start to shave my head. I was 7. We took the clippers right down the middle, about 2 inches back when it dawned on me that my mom might freak out about this. Let's ease her into this, I told my friends.

I slink home a while later and am in the clear - the Mamacita hasn't noticed me yet. A good idea, I think, is to do a preemptive strike. I go to her in the kitchen and say:

"Look, Mom! New hair! I am growing new hair!"

She must have been an exceptionally suspicious woman because she responds by screaming

"What did you do!? Your head looks like a golf course!"

She was pretty pissed. I LOVED it. I was so excited to go to school. Everyone else thought it was wicked too. Not enough to actually do it themselves - but, still. I let it grow out a little and then I spiked it. I did this for 2 years.

Now, you may be imaging this in your head and something has probably occurred to you.


I HAD A MULLET.

Say what you will about Jeremy but he *was* good with his animals


Ha! This fact escaped me until one day when my friends came over and saw my school pictures.

"Ha! Dude, you had a mullet!?"
"What? No! I had, you know, short spikes in the front...with long hair in the back."
"That's exactly how you define a mullet. AHAHAHAAH! I am telling everyone we do know and will ever know about this."
"Dear God, I had a mullet. I need to sit down."

And yet after all this - I still sneak into the bathroom late at night to cut off the front of my hair. Why am I so seduced by the Siren Song of the Mullet? Is that what this is? A subconscious longing?

I think it is. I think there are a whole bunch of things I secretly love that are just waiting to be let free...

19 comments:

  1. Long live the good-side-of-the-bed! And, um, seriously, bangs suck (for which I currently have intimate knowledge).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had bangs once - because I decided to cut a piece of gum out of my hair. Of course I managed to do it at that "awkward" period (aka as my childhood) and had the nearly coke bottle glasses. Let's just say I don't like many of my pictures between the age of say, 8 and 22

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.. I really think you should have your own talk show :) Love love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I demand to see pictures of this mullet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go back and forth on bangs all the time - I haven't had full on bangs since high school, but the though definitely crosses my mind. I don't have the balls to do it though!

    And I am also a left side of the bed (the good side) person! So far, the hubby hasn't tried to steal my side though - I'll be on the lookout though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Melanie - I know, why do we keep doing this over and over again? "I am never cutting bangs ever again!!!" Yeah, right, give it 3 years.

    @Sonshine - Hahaha! Oh the awkward years! Mine were BAD.

    @Analand - Aww, aren't you sweet? Thanks so much for reading my blog, I am really glad you like it :)

    @Pauly - Oy vey! I dunno, I think I am pretty close to being ready to show it. Ha! I should. I have to go to my parents house and dig it up though.

    @Ashlie - Don't be seduced by the foul temptresses that are bangs! Unless, you know, they look goo on you. Then by all means, go for it. You must be ever vigilant of the good side, Ashlie. It must be guarded from all inevitable attacks by your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look *good* on you. You should not do it if they look "goo" on you. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O.M.G. I think you might be my new favorite blog. I don't know why it took me so long to check you out.

    Also, i covet your awesome owl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the smile of a bitch who know she look good
    Oh, Joan. I did stop laughing long enough to Google the above and then respected you all the more.
    "A 6 foot tall Spanish woman could walk in here and play my part for a week and you'd be trying to put your finger on what's changed."
    Hey! Let's try to keep it clean! Gillian might stop by!
    Weirdo insists we put it over the roll.
    I'm with him on this one, actually. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahahahahahaha... Amazing. The funny thing is I just cut my bangs today.

    I too covet the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Falen - Aw, shucks! Thanks! I like your blog too! "Take that Zomb!" hahaah! I know, isn't that owl neat? It freaks my son out though, so it now faces the wall at all times. Except when I feel creepy and turn it around to point at my husband while he sleeps.

    @Blam - I bet Evil Blam puts it under the roll. I fear I may have quite a bit in common with that guy.

    @Achinghope - Lucky! I wish I could pull off bangs. Did they come out nice?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dude with the Octopus stache should be the new Gentlemen of Leisure mascot...

    A 6 foot tall Spanish woman could walk in here and play my part for a week and you'd be trying to put your finger on what's changed.

    Oh, man, laughing is awesome.

    I actually pride myself on being attentive of things like hair style/color changes on women, especially my wife, though apparently I need to work on my reactions to such changes.

    My wife recently cut about three inches off of her hair. Apparently, cutting three inches is a bigger deal than I thought.

    I knew she was getting it cut, and I reacted appropriately the first time I saw her post-haircut:
    >checks out hair for a moment<
    "Looks good!," I says. "I like it."

    "You don't think it's too short?" My wife asks, fiddling with her hair.

    "No, it doesn't seem that much shorter to me at all."
    >Look on her face tells me THAT was the wrong thing to say<

    Oh, and, sorry, but I gotta side with your husband on the TP roll issue. Over the roll leaves the TP hanging closer to you, the user of said TP. Under the roll, you have to reach under the roll to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dammit! I spelled mascot wrong! Twice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Teebore - You should absolutely use him as your mascott! He is my mascott as well. Hehe, yeah, it is almost a no-win situation with us girls,eh? If you had said "Yeah, it looks a lot different!" she would go "Different how?" and you go "Different better!" and she goes "What, you thought it was ugly before?"
    Another Under-The-Roll guy, eh? I wonder if it is a gender based issue? Yeah, it is closer but it doesn't roll as well - isn't that important too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have found your abode, the Joan Crawford, and shall indulge in your stereotype of me, eh. Ooogeddyboogeddyboogeddyboogeddybooo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd argue over the roll does roll better, as you can get a better grip on it and just let it roll!

    Also, your husband is right: you can't do that cute little triangle foldy thing when the end is always hanging under the roll.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too, rocked a mullet in my younger years—a fierce mullet, no less.

    I am also a fan of cutting my own bangs. Advice: Instead of using safety scissors, use the little metal scissors that come in nail care kits. (you know the ones the come in zippy-thingys with clippers and tweezers, etc.)

    I have used these tiny metal scissors with great success—despite the fact that they may be THE ONE thing worse than safety scissors when it comes to cutting your own hair.

    Rock on, JC. Hilarious post as always. I say, a life without cutting your own—and messing up your own—hair, just isn't a life worth living:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, let me say this. There is only one place the toilet paper roll should go...and that's teetering on the edge of the sink. The Man comes over and puts it on the holder when I'm not looking like he owns the place...THE HOLDER!! The Man is always trying to keep me down! I can say that 'cause I'm black...okay, I'm only half but my point is still valid.

    Second, I heart your blog very much. Although, I don't know why you would be ashamed of a mullet. I had a very naturally curly borderline Jheri mullet (a curlett or a murley) when I was younger and I was so proud, I cried myself to sleep each night until it grew out. They were tears of sheer joy, I tell you. JOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Teebore - I found a site all about on-the-roll toilet paper origami - damn it, I'll have to find it again for you.

    "My what a lovely dinner party Teebore threw!"
    "I know - and did you take a look at that TP origami? Lah-dee-dah!"

    @Jenn - Thanks! I have a pair of those - maybe I'll do some reconstructive surgery on my bangs tonight? (Creepy music plays and the word *foreshadowing* waggles across the screen.)

    @Palindrome - Lucky! I never get to stick it to the man :(
    I am one 64th Native American, though! Blackfoot tribe- represent!
    Murley - HAHA! You are right - there is no shame in a mullet. It should be a symbol of pride.

    ReplyDelete