Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Magical Underpants

Being 5 was a magical time for me. I was absolutely convinced at the time that I was, in fact, a rare cross breed of She-Ra and Wonder Woman.
One of a kind: Wonder Ra! No, too much like Wonder Bra. Hmm, She-Man? No, that's worse...

say what you will but you can't deny its got a good attitude

Christmas 5 years old:

I creep downstairs to plunder my goods - I had only asked for every Transformers figure that there was in existence and for a signature from Santa himself. You see, in Kindergarten that year, a malicious rumor had been spread that Santa was a fraud. I was incensed! But I was not powerless - no, I knew all I needed was proof. But how to get it? I decided to leave a small, heartfelt, note (my mom told me how to spell everything: "Aren't you worried Santa will be offended you don't think he is real"? Me:".........No. We're wasting time! How do you spell 'here'"?). I left it next to the milk and cookies, it read:

"Santa - sign here."

I wasn't much for schmoozing: Let's get down to business, Fat Man, gimme yer damn scrawl and we'll call it even.


Goddamn Kids...

Santa complied! Holy Crap! Can you imagine - hard evidence with which to assault the liars! I later sold that signature for 50 cents (This was the mid 80's - it was unheard of at the time on the Kindergarten Black Market)!
Santa also left me two gifts that changed my life. These two presents made me realize, in a way I could not yet verbalize nor fully comprehend, that I was a miniature megalomaniac. This epiphany, though wonderful, ended up leaving me with a scar I possess to this day.

The gifts! What did I see but Wonder Woman Underoo set! Hot damn - that bitch has nothing on me now! And, also under the tree, a She-Ra helmet/face mask thing with a sword and a cape!!! I was invincible. Now, I could finally show the world - thanks to my nylon underpants and plastic accoutrements- that I meant business!
I geared up and wore my outfit all day. By the end of the evening - I realized: "What am I doing walking around like a chump - when I can fly!?" (Neither woman flew on her own, I know, but at the time that was a minor detail and major failing on their part - but not for me, suckers!)
Most children attempt to fly from the edge of the couch. Losers. Not me, I went to the top of the stairs and let me tell you: the giddy rush I had while I ascended -- the sudden knowing of how great things were about to be was overwhelming.
I turn around and look down at the steps. So great!

............JUMP!!!

Now, this was horrifying to me at the time and completely unbelievable (and enraging) but I didn't actually fly down into the kitchen to see my mom doing the dishes and then swoop outside to impress my friends - no! I tumbled end over end the whole way. Son of a bitch!

I was met at the bottom of the stairs by the corner of the wall and I bashed my head just above my eye. It, of course, split open and blood gushed everywhere. It was very dramatic - my mother came running "Jesus Christ! What was that!?" (She actually took the Lord's name in vain - on Christmas! Who does that?)

"Are you all right!? Baby, baby, look at me!"

But anger had blinded me. That and a fair amount of blood.

I had been lied to! LYING BY OMISSION. Nobody specifically said "Hey, stupid, you can't fly." Of course I thought I could.
I ended up in the hospital - needed 6 stitches and I still have a faint - but awesome - scar running through my eyebrow.
"What were you thinking!? Are you insane? You could've been killed!" She was over reacting, big surprise.
This was a traumatic day for the whole family, but mostly for me. Santa had neglected to leave me a flying horse or an invisible plane. I have not nor will I ever forgive him.

5 comments:

  1. Yep... I remember all that... Almost identically once you swap the sexes around to the male counterparts. My He-man body armor and sword and Superman underoos were ready to take on the world.

    Yikes! I can only imagine what the adults must have thought as they watched.

    Related but different... I swear to god, I REMEMBER knowing how to fly! I remember what it felt like... I just can't remember how I used to do it. It may have had something to do with this pair of pajamas...

    Damned changes in perceptions and the things they make you forget...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I think about my kid doing this now and I am fairly certain a few major arteries in my brain would explode instantaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, maybe, the trick is to never tell them it is impossible. I mean, if everything is possible... Except that... Well that sucks! Let them believe and maybe they actually can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just need to make the foot of the stairs really cushiony.

    The only underoos I ever owned were Darth Vader and they were disappointing. They should have been Black with a chest plate. But instead they just put his picture on a blue t-shirt.

    You can't be the guy AND have him on your shirt!

    By the way, what about the fact that you asked for every Transformer, and he didn't even leave you one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You can't be the guy AND have him on your shirt!"

    Ha! It's true! That's a little too much self promotion - even for a super villain.

    Oh! I neglected to talk about my other gifts - I did get some Transformers. But you raised a good point: he didn't get me every one like I had asked for. The more I think about this Santa guy, the more I realize what a jerk he is...

    Thanks for commenting - I was right, it was super cool for me! :)

    ReplyDelete