Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The World Was Built For Two


A lot of people apparently hate this woman; I know nothing of her but I do know I love this song. This is exactly what it is like to love someone when you are 16 and a girl. Anyone who can make music like this, I love. This is what Miss Joan has been listening to. At Sleepy Time, mostly.

During Active Time, I listen to this:

TRUE BLOOD SOUNDTRACK!

You guys! The new season starts on June 10!

And yes, that's Paz de la Huetra - Boardwalk Empire premiers on September 03!

6 comments:

  1. BUT! Only two episode left of Game of Thrones. Sad boosh. I really wish we were watching Boardwalk Empire. It looks so good

    ReplyDelete

  2. A lot of people apparently hate this woman; I know nothing of her but I do know I love this song.

    Here's the deal (as I see it, anyway):

    She was being touted as the next big thing when she appeared on SNL, where she looked awkward and sounded terrible. There was then some backlash against the backlash against her, with Daniel Radcliffe (who'd hosted that week) and cast members coming to her defense, note being made of how the stage in Studio 8H can be unforgiving to if not actually work against live performances (which is apparently true). I felt bad for her myself.

    Then I actually listened to her song on Letterman — I'd kind-of tuned it out on SNL — and hated what the video reinforced for me was a preciously delivered song that seemed to be about a drugged-out chick singing the praises of a boyfriend who at best took her for granted but she was too brainwashed too realize it. And it doesn't help that she looks like a weird plastic mashup of Ann-Margaret, Angelina Jolie, and The Vampire Diaries' Sara Canning or that she adopted a pretentious stage name when her first stab at a music career didn't take off. I'm all for perseverance, and I certainly wouldn't tell anybody what music they should enjoy, but I'm turned off by the whole package. (What's up wit' the "wit' you"?)

    So turned off I am, in fact, that a couple of months ago I put together a post on this that included a song parody of which I'm particularly proud. Dumb stupid-head Blogger was giving me particular grief at the time, but I should try again soon. The song is actually about her, based on another song and not on "Video Games" (which has been awesomely parodied as "Hunger Games"; that link did make it onto my blog).

    I'm glad you asked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Falen - I can't believe how quickly GoT has gone by, I feel like we've only had 2 or 3 episodes. True Blooooooood! Cannot - not - not wait :D I love Boardwalk Empire as well. How did I live without HBO?

    @Blam - Huh, well, when you put it that way, I can see why you dislike her. I like it when people don't like certain celebrities... like my dad irrationally (not in his mind) hates Tom Hanks. Loathes Tom Hanks. It's hilarious and he makes a good case. Yeah, I thought she was British and that's why said 'wit' but I guess she just randomly says it... that is dumb. I disagree with you on what the song is about, somewhat, but I can see where you're coming from. She does need to stop messing with her face though, you're right. The thing I don't get is that if you are turned-off by pretentious people - how can you not hate Gwyneth Paltrow? How can I say her name and your blood pressure stays even? Did you know she suggested that people should by a f*cking outdoor pizza oven!? Honestly, Blam, she is a force of evil.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I thought Lana Del Rey was British at first, too, then just that she was pretending to be British — it turns out not even that.

    You're totally allowed to groove to whatever turns you on; I'm just surprised that someone so ripe for parody isn't mere shreds in your narrative talons. I've known plenty of ladyfolk who couldn't break free soon enough from a man whose lack of attention was some kind of irresistible musk, and like I said that's totally how I read this song — worse, I see it as sort-of reveling in the limbo of passive-if-not-active abuse rather than commenting on it in some insightful way, and I have little patience for the "ooh, you can mistreat me, you big hunk of man" schtick.

    Anyway, I know you have zero patience for Gwyneth Paltrow. I guess my only response there is that I know nothing about GOOP except that it's a thing that apparently exists, so I base not only my lack of hate but my affection, if I had to chose one side or the other, on the fact that I liked her in stuff from Shakespeare in Love all the way up to Glee and Iron Man. I would pick having to stay a week at her house with the outdoor pizza oven and Chris Martin over having to endure a single conversation with Tom Cruise, so everything's relative. I don't get not liking Tom Hanks, though, unless one simply can't stand an ounce of even celebrities with self-awareness and good humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your comment form just switched formats between my leaving the last comment and trying to find the "subscribe" link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love me some True Blood. I missed the majority of last season though. I don't have HBO. *sad face* I'm always one season behind. le sigh.

    ReplyDelete