Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Now That's What I Call A Wormhole

 What you can't see is the 30 foot cliff my friend is 
walking down to get to the water

Look at the color of that water! This is about an hour outside of Reykjavik. We took a self-guided tour (it was the best thing ever. There was much furrowing of brows while checking maps and "Holy crap! Do you see that?!" was said at least 4 times.) According to legend, this is a big hole. And that's it. The Icelanders, they don't care for story telling too much. 

No, no, they're a bunch of party-loving Vikings, of course there is a tale. Apparently, a long time ago, a giant and I am assuming evil, worm burst forth from the Earth to do some stuff (the guidebook was brief) and this is the site of his entry. Really, it's a Big Hole with awesome water thanks to the heat of it and some crazy ass amoebas or some shit. Science is awesome! Zoom!  Onward, protozoan lovers!


Friend: Do you want to get out for a closer look?
Me: Yeah, I'm going to have to say 'no' here.

Here is an amazing and scary sight. This little hill was smoking and it's blood red! Again, Iceland's going all science on your ass. Around every turn you see things like this. Things you won't see pretty much anywhere else...it's like Dinosaur-Times World but with spas and great shopping. It's heaven pretty much. We drove past this little guy (who has no fanfare - no signs, no parking spaces with garbage cans. It's just normal scenery) on our way to the Blue Lagoon! Look at me going all (computer)science on you with my first ever link!


The spa was fantastic. It was pretty cold out so there was steam that formed a thick blanket on top of the weird glowy blue water. The water has this special amoeba (pfft, typical) that eats skin conditions. Mmm, symbiosis. It was also very windy and so the blanket would be yanked away every few minutes and you could see nothing but lava hills and blue sky. I stood in the center of it (the floor of it is smooth like highly polished marble in most spots but some parts have a fine grain of loose silica mud. Which is ridiculously expensive. In the water, they have little buckets of it all around for you to use at will, and boy did I ever. As I left, I went to buy a bottle and it was 60 bucks or maybe 48, I can't remember but it was a lot!) and just breathed in and took in the strange sun that always hangs at 10am time until it dips down. It smells like sulfur (as does all the water in Iceland) but honestly, you come to really like it. I miss my sulfury showers :(


And with that, Kiddos, good night. My pics are taking 15 minutes to load! Blast Off to Planet Bed! More Iceland pics to come soon. In the words of Skinner, "Up yours, children!"











16 comments:

  1. I want to go to Dinosaur Times World! With spas! And shopping!

    Maybe I can convince the husband that Iceland is where we should finally have that overdue honeymoon...

    PS: I would have stopped at the rock. The bloody rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww that stuff looks awesome and cool!
    that hole looks like the lake that dethklok raised a giant troll from in Metalacolypse. The giant lake troll went on a destruction rampage and the icelanders were not pleased.
    god i love that cartoon.
    and apparently i want to visist iceland

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a ripping good time!! I love giant holes made by worms. Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, they're a bunch of party-loving Vikings, of course there is a tale.
    Uh... Hello? Eddas!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a hole - a worm hole. Ummm... okay.

    HAHAHA!

    Yeah! I want to see more pictures! Tell your interwebs to stop being so slow!

    VW: colls - what I does on the phones - colls ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sayid photo looks like it was painted by Da Vinci. (He just needs a hint of a smile.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent one night in Keflavik (I think that is close to the spelling) many, many years ago. Cold and wet is all I remember. Your memories are better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Summer - It was great! Apparently, The Land Before Time (with umm, Encino Man guy in it) was filmed there. And the Boiling Mud Pots. It was amazing! We took 2 horse back tours across lava fields and around volcanoes and through glacier springs...unbelievable. My Icelandic Pony's name was Earthquake - he was born in 2000 when they had a major one. I will post some pics of him. Some people find Iceland to be barren but I found it breathtakingly beautiful. I have to go back!

    @Falen - Hahaha! It was incredible! Now, I haven't been outside North America before this but my friend has been all over the world twice and she thought it was remarkable as well.

    @Palindrome - I love you for making up "awesomesaucage". Brilliant, just brilliant.

    @Blam - Where have you gone? Are you playing coy? Do you want me to beg?

    @Sonshine - I know! I have so many great pics but I get so frustrated with my damn computer. Soon, more will come!

    @JW - I know, my beautiful Sayid. Even his name Sigh-Eed. I mean come on, really - I have to sigh just to mention him.
    Sigh...

    @Jerry - Yes, it's funny; it was cold and wet when I left Keflavik too...the sky wept I tell you!

    P.S. The spellchecker suggests 'Riboflavin' in place of Keflavik. Teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joan: Nowhere... Uh, not intentionally... Sure! That'd be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apparently, a long time ago, a giant and I am assuming evil, worm burst forth from the Earth to do some stuff

    I'm pretty sure the Viking storytellers were the first people to discover "dropping acid".

    Onward, protozoan lovers!

    Pfft...who isn't? Mmm...protozoan...

    In the words of Skinner, "Up yours, children!"

    Bwahaha! Love me a good Simpsons quote.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! I want to see more pictures! Tell your interwebs to stop being so slow!
    Adsense Alternative

    ReplyDelete
  12. *whispers* are you still undead?

    *pokes cheek* *Shakes off decaying flesh*

    You've been FAR too quiet lately!

    ReplyDelete

  13. I think she's in a funk because I've been on hiatus from posting. Ut-bay ee-thay i-way i-fay is-hay urking-way erfectly-pay ight-ray ow-nay — I don't wanna jinx it, so hush-hush — and hopefully I can finally update my blog. On my way, Joan; you can stop wandering the castle listlessly, drooling, muttering insanely to yourself, and start muttering insanely to us again.

    VW: PricRun — The charity race to benefit diabetics in search of better blood tests.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know, I know! I have been in a Blogging-Funk. I have some stuff cooked up, just haven't had the time to serve it to y'all :)

    P.S. BlamSandwich - of course you *had* to add the drooling part. It's not enough to be crazy; I must be an invalid too!


    I shall be back soon!

    ReplyDelete

  15. of course you *had* to add the drooling part

    I, uh, figured you were fantasizing about my dimples. Yeah. That's the ticket.

    And if it's any consolation, To Thine Joan Self Be True, karma must speak Pig Latin, because my Wi-Fi cut out on me right after that comment.

    VW: tophsh — The name of BP's latest oil-leak fix. They're clearly not even trying anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *waves frantically at Joan*

    HI!!!! I MISS YOU!

    fin

    ReplyDelete